Interview: Do u need to bring marriage certificate/divorce even if u r applying after 5 years of GC?

koiadmi

Registered Users (C)
Hello

I got my unconditional GC in june 2007, on the basis of marriage (june 2004) to a US citizen. We got divorced in mid 2009. So, I waited 5 years, and applied for citizenship this year.

Reading thru N-659 Interview Document Checklist, does (3) apply on me?

(3) If you are applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a US citizen, bring:

Thanks

Sounds like you don't need it since you did not apply for Citizenship through marriage, but I would definitely still bring a copy of your marriage license and divorce papers. Better safe than sorry

Thanks for the reply.

The problem is that I dont have the marriage certificate. I guess I need to contact the county to get a copy.

Thanks

You don't need to bring the marriage certificate; they already have that on file from your green card process.

But you should bring the divorce decree to the interview, as they might ask for it since they don't have it already.

I got my unconditional GC in june 2007, on the basis of marriage (june 2004) to a US citizen. We got divorced in mid 2009. So, I waited 5 years, and applied for citizenship this year.

Reading thru N-659 Interview Document Checklist, does (3) apply on me?

(3) If you are applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a US citizen, bring:

When they mention applying based on marriage to a US citizen, they are not referring to how you got your green card, they are referring to using the 3 year rule for naturalization eligibility (instead of the usual 5 year rule). You are using the regular 5 year rule, so you are not applying based on marriage (even though you got your green card through marriage), and that point (3) does not apply to you.

You don't need to bring the marriage certificate; they already have that on file from your green card process.

But you should bring the divorce decree to the interview, as they might ask for it since they don't have it already.

They enter your current marital status on the Certificate so the relevant documentation is needed just for that (i.e., divorce papers). Also, IF the divorce decree restored your former name, you need it for that purpose.