Indian Visa for Minor

yu-ghi

Registered Users (C)
My USC minor child has a 10 year multiple entry Indian visa on his passport which was valid for 5 years. Now that the passport is expired and he got a new one. Can he use the visa on the expired passport to travel to India? Or, he has to get a new visa on the new passport? Hope somebody had a similar experience to share.

Thanks
Yu-ghi

yu-ghi said:
My USC minor child has a 10 year multiple entry Indian visa on his passport which was valid for 5 years. Now that the passport is expired and he got a new one. Can he use the visa on the expired passport to travel to India? Or, he has to get a new visa on the new passport? Hope somebody had a similar experience to share.

Thanks
Yu-ghi

Yu-ghi,
On the website of my Indian consulate (San Francisco), it says the following:
Consulate General of India said:
Transfer of Valid Visa: Valid visa can either be transferred from the expired passport to the new passport by submitting the visa application form, both the passports and required fee (see below) OR the passport holder could travel with both the expired passport containing the valid visa and the new passport keeping them together.

So, according to that source, you have a choice. Either the child can travel carrying the old expired passport with the Indian visa along with the new valid passport, or for a small fee ($25 in San Francisco), you can have the visa transferred to the child's new passport.

Hope this helps,

Tamtom

New U.S.Passport and Indian Tourist Visa.. Please help..

Hi,

My daughter's (minor, U.S. Citizen) passport expires early next month. We applied and got a new U.S Passport. Last month, when we went to submit the passport application, the person at the post office told us that since the U.S.Passport still has validity, it must be submitted along with the application.

The new U.S Passport arrived recently but we did not get the old U.S Passport back that still has valid 10-Year Multiple Entry Indian Tourist Visa.

Has anyone in this forum been in this situation ? If so, which approach would work / did work ?

1. Calling the U.S Passport Customer Service to request for the old U.S.Passport.

2. Calling the Indian Embassy to get the Visa Transferred to the new U.S Passport for a fee of $25. But then, in this case, would the Indian Embassy require us to send the old U.S Passport that has the valid visa -OR- just copy of the old passport is sufficient ?

Could someone please help....

Thanks in advance.
v_help.