important change re RTD and reentry permit

Gilbert

The BCIS has decided to discontinue the current RTD and reentry permit. In their place, there will be a document called " Travel Document Issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services." The sample I saw looks strikingly like the American passport, except for the green color. The BCIS claims that the document is very fraud-resistant.

On the inside page of the front cover the document will either say RTD or entry permit.

Originally posted by Gilbert
The BCIS has decided to discontinue the current RTD and reentry permit. In their place, there will be a document called " Travel Document Issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services." The sample I saw looks strikingly like the American passport, except for the green color. The BCIS claims that the document is very fraud-resistant.

On the inside page of the front cover the document will either say RTD or entry permit.

Does this mean that there will be no distinction between both? It will just be called travel document with no reference to whether you are a refugee or a peremnant resident? When will this happen? I am waiting for my re-entry permit and do nto know when i will get it

read my message again. The person's status IS reflected inside the document. You cannot tell the difference by looking at the cover. As before, RTD will be good for one year and RP two.

The change will occur in the next few weeks, I believe.

Thanks for bringing this news to the forum Gilbert. I hope the time takes to process the applications for the new travel documents is faster than the previous ones. I also hope that immigration authorities from other countries respond well to this change.

read my message again. The person's status IS reflected inside the document. You cannot tell the difference by looking at the cover. As before, RTD will be good for one year and RP two.

The change will occur in the next few weeks, I believe.

btw Dear Gilbert,
mind u tell us where did u get this info?
any samples available on line?Pls follow the link., thanx!

Re: Re: important change re RTD and reentry permit

Originally posted by JackIsBack
Thanks for bringing this news to the forum Gilbert. I hope the time takes to process the applications for the new travel documents is faster than the previous ones. I also hope that immigration authorities from other countries respond well to this change.

The BCIS claims that the hi-tech nature (the same technology that the State Department uses to print American passports) of the new document enables it to improve customer service. The BCIS/INS has made such claims before and I am skeptical.

Originally posted by kelvin2088
btw Dear Gilbert,
mind u tell us where did u get this info?
any samples available on line?Pls follow the link., thanx!

Kelvin,

I read this on a restricted, subscription-only website. Why don't you try one of the Internet search engines? I am sure something is out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Grilbert!
How do you know that RTD has been discountinued? I have just applied for RDT and I am hoping to get it next month. So you mean I will get the new document that you mentioned not the RTD?

The real question is how long will be a waiting period for this new travel passport