1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Impact of impounded passport on GC processing

Discussion in 'Any Topic' started by paulstadler2005, Dec 17, 2004.

1. paulstadler2005

paulstadler2005 Registered Users (C)

Hi,
    I would like to know the impact of impounded passport on green card processing!. To give you the background of my case. I got married in 2001 and took my wife to US, we lived together for a short period and due to incompatibility I filed for divorce in US (Massachusetts) and obtained divorce in August 2002. Right after my divorce became absolute my wife filed a false dowry harassment case against me and my family members in India.

I came to India in August 2004, and since then(it is dec 2004 now) I am attending this case in India. Last month my ex-wife filed a petition to impound my passport and the magistrate passed an order that recommends a passport officer to impound my passport quoting the passport act 10 section 3(e) (i.e pending criminal case).

I know that I can't leave india when this order is in effect, I would like to know the impact of this order on
    1) my employment in US
    2) my green card processing in US.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

2. hathwar

hathwar Registered Users (C)

What status were you in the US since AUG 2004?
    Your employment depends upon your employer. Is he OK with you staying in India for a long time before all these things get sorted out? Do you have any idea how long its gonna take to get it resolved?

3. paulstadler2005

paulstadler2005 Registered Users (C)

Impact of impounded passport on Green card processing

My H1B is still valid. My case trial is supposed to be over by end of december 2004

4. sunpad

sunpad Registered Users (C)

Any more info on impounded passport would really help. My case is similar. I took divorce in US but caught on false 498(a) in India and the passport was impounded. I am already a GC holder.

Thanks

5. 498a

498a New Member

Impact of passport impounding on Green Card

Can someone share their experience/information on Indian passport impounding due to avoiding court proceedings, its impact on Green Card and if one get deported as a result? I have only heard of people just talking but no one has had a personal experience.

6. R Agarwal

R Agarwal New Member

I am in a similar situation. On GC but India passport recently impounded. What happens next? Can I stay in the US with an impounded passport?

7. newacct

newacct Well-Known Member

You don't need a passport if you don't need to travel internationally.

8. R Agarwal

R Agarwal New Member

Will it be a problem at the time of applying for Citizenship? Citizenship is 4.5 years away for me

9. newacct

newacct Well-Known Member

No. Permanent residents are not required to have a passport.