Immigration Visa Number vs. Alien Number

mhsoor

Registered Users (C)
Hi folks,

Does anybody know what is the difference between "Immigration Visa Number" and "Alien Number"?

I spoke with my attorney and she said that when we apply for I-485, then an Alien # is assigned. Per my attorney, "Alien # is the number for your permanent residence visa. It will be printed on your permanent residence card."

I applied concurrently, I-140/I-485/EAD/AP. My EAD (1st and 2nd, both), AP and even the FP notice that I had received has this Alien #. Does this mean I have my immigration visa number? If that is the case then all those who are in similar situation and are in EB3 category, may not have to wait for the availability of the immigration visa number till October 2005. If we are lucky enough, then, our cases might get approved before October.

Hope for the best. God helps them who help themselves.

No. The A# (Alien number) is a number to identify you. It's assigned when you file and yes it will be on all your paperwork and on your Green CArd.
You WILL NOT get a immigration Visa until they are ready to ajudicate your I-485. And that for EB-3's won't be until at least October 2005.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats right. A# is the file number. Visa number will be alloted to you when your case is ready for approval.

Thank you guys. Thank you very much for your response.

I had my doubts about Alien # being the Immigration Visa number, but just wanted to make sure that my understanding is correct.