If USCIS needs more evidence will they contact you?

marengo

Registered Users (C)
My name is John and I'm currently applying for permanent residency through my father who is a U.S. citizen. I'm 20 years old.

I entered The U.S. on a visitors visa, we found out I could apply for permanent residency through my father. We sent in 1-130 but then 10 days before my 90 days were up we found out that for me to be able to stay in the country we had to send in form I-485 Adjustment of status along with an Affidavit of support and along with other documents. We quickly got everything taken care the best possible way we could.

My father worked for the government so a lot of the money he earned three years back was non taxable. On two of the years we barely made it past the poverty line and the third year there were a couple of thousand dollars missing in the papers that we sent in. We attached a note with the Affidavit of support explaining the situation. Since we only had ten days to send everything in otherwise I couldn't stay in the country my father wasn't able to get all the documents he needed to prove that he infact in all three years was over the poverty line. So my father did earn over the poverty line in all three years but USCIS doesn't know that.
My question is this. If USCIS needs more evidence will they contact us? It's not like they just can deny me permanent residency without asking for further for proof right? I just get worried you know. I don't want to have to leave my family. :(

I'm sorry if this issue has been posted about. I checked but wasn't able to find anything really similar.

Right after we sent in all what they needed they did send us a document saying that they needed more evidence(just nothing that had to do with affidavit of support).

Last edited by a moderator:
Normally, if they need something else from you or are missing some necessary information USCIS will send you a letter or RFE (request of further evidence) and you have a time limit to respond with the information.
And what type of "more evidence" they needed? Sometimes they don't specify they just say like if you didn't submitt this and that then please submitted in xx days and if you did it before, you can ignore it. Other time they do specify and ask for a specific document.
So did your father submitted the Affidavit of Support with the necessary support evidence at the end?
Good luck,

We were advised by a woman working at a senates office where I live to send in the medical examination later. So we sent everything else in. Then a few weeks later I got a letter from U.S. Department of Homeland Security asking for additional evidence.
They said they needed a medical examination. So I had one done and I sent it in to them. They never said they needed anything else so we thought that if they need anything they will let us know.
My interview should happen any week/month now( I hope) LOL so then they will probably ask for "more evidence" to bring along if they need it, I would think. Right?

My I-130 is currently being processed and they say it will take between 30 and 90 days to finish. My concern is that since they don't know that my father did earn over the poverty line all three years that they will deny it. Would they do that or would they send a letter saying they need more proof?
Thanks to all of you for helping out. :)

I don't think they will deny your case just because the money. They probably did not even notice yet because you said the third year is very close. The thing is, they do not care about first year and second year only the Third year (the closest year) counts. Even if there's something wrong with the money, at the interview they will tell you that they can not issue you green card yet, and give you time to find a co-sponser. After you send the co-sponser form, then they will probably approve you if everything else is fine. If you worry too much, they find a co-sponsor who is US citizen, let him fill I-864A and bring it to interview in case. Best wishes.

marengo said:
We were advised by a woman working at a senates office where I live to send in the medical examination later. So we sent everything else in. Then a few weeks later I got a letter from U.S. Department of Homeland Security asking for additional evidence.
They said they needed a medical examination. So I had one done and I sent it in to them. They never said they needed anything else so we thought that if they need anything they will let us know.
My interview should happen any week/month now( I hope) LOL so then they will probably ask for "more evidence" to bring along if they need it, I would think. Right?

My I-130 is currently being processed and they say it will take between 30 and 90 days to finish. My concern is that since they don't know that my father did earn over the poverty line all three years that they will deny it. Would they do that or would they send a letter saying they need more proof?
Thanks to all of you for helping out. :)

I think that is better to be proactive. I would make another Affidavit of Support or in the case you need it find a co-sponsor and take the form with you at the time of the interview if they ask for more evidence of financial support.

The uscis website indicates what has to be done and what should be send to them. Doesn't matter if another goverment official (not uscis) even the President told you what you should send they are not from the USCIS even don't know what is happening there (or don't care for what matters). Instructions and processes change with the time. Long time ago people could take their medical to the interview, but that change more than a year ago. Check www.uscis.gov

By the way, if you are following the part of 30-90 days don't pay attention to it. It is a computer generated message that everybody received. You should check your district office (DO) dates.
Good luck,

Thanks to all of you. My case is currently being processed in Chicago.

So could my case actually take longer time to process than the 90 days that USCIS gave me?

When you say Chicago, you are saying because you sent all your forms to Chicago Lockbox or because you live in Chicago?
Can you tell me your district office?
Yes, take longer time.

cherr1980 said:
When you say Chicago, you are saying because you sent all your forms to Chicago Lockbox or because you live in Chicago?
Can you tell me your district office?
Yes, take longer time.
All my papers are in Chicago. I sent them there.
My DO is in Albuquerque, New Mexico. :)

Edit: They are saying it is going to take between 30 and 90 days to process my i-130. On november 18 it will be 6 months since I filed and got my receipt date.
I tried to check it up on the net but since my case (I-130) isn't being processed in Albuquerque, NM but in Chicago isn't that whee I should check? I can't find any available dates for the INS place in Chicago. Anyone please? :eek: