If Canadians Overstay,can They Marry Without Returning To Canada

jnj

Registered Users (C)
If a Canadian has been in the USA since 2000 and now wants to marry,do they have to prove to the immigration people how long or when they entered the USA?And does immigration know when canadians entered USA especially if it was before 911.
Will a canadian have to return back to canada before getting married if immigration can prove that they were here for much longer than is allowed?

jnj said:
If a Canadian has been in the USA since 2000 and now wants to marry,do they have to prove to the immigration people how long or when they entered the USA?And does immigration know when canadians entered USA especially if it was before 911.
Will a canadian have to return back to canada before getting married if immigration can prove that they were here for much longer than is allowed?

hi! if you marry a US citizen you'll be ok! but if you marry somebody that has only a green card it will take you at least 7 years to get something so it is not worth it! you don't have to prouve them anything! but hope that your lover is a USC

hmmm...I dont know about that...Although canadian citizens dont need a visa to enter usa they have might have a time limit for their stay,no?

If such is the case cant the immigration check to see when the canadian crossed the border-even if it is pre 911?
Also if the canadian has been issued a traffic ticket or had a phone bill in the usa cant they see that on record?And will they hold that against the person?

Yes,the person the canadian would be marrying is a US citizen.

jnj said:
hmmm...I dont know about that...Although canadian citizens dont need a visa to enter usa they have might have a time limit for their stay,no?

If such is the case cant the immigration check to see when the canadian crossed the border-even if it is pre 911?
Also if the canadian has been issued a traffic ticket or had a phone bill in the usa cant they see that on record?And will they hold that against the person?

Those can all be chalked up to 'shortterm" weekend or week long visits, not exceeding 180 days in total. Ps the Champlain NY land border only Stamped my wifes passport twice in over 40 visits.

Do as you will with that - it's not advice or a reccomendation :)

jnj said:
It all depends on who you are marrying to and how you entered the US.

jnj said:

They can't really tell unless they entered your id in the system? How did you cross? I use to cross all the time by car and they never checked my id, so if they didn't check your id they'd have no record. I can't see how they would. They may not even know you're in the country!