I think I will face a possible revocation of my GC

desilva

Hello, I am a GC holder and have been outside the US for three years due to studying. I had one reentry permit previously and then moved back to the US and had a hard time finding a job, after which I was offered a job in my home country. I don't think I will get a second reentry permit because employment abroad is not really a valid reason as it can potentially show abandonment of GC although I do have family issues too. I am financially not strong enough to move to the US straight away after studies. I hold a US bank account and drivers license which shows I am maintaining a US address but I don't think it is enough.

Anyone with such experiences? Did you get a second reentry permit?

You don't really need a reason for the re-entry permit. Just write PERSONAL REASONS. But, you need to be in the US to apply, and you need to be there for fingerprinting too.

You don't really need a reason for the re-entry permit. Just write PERSONAL REASONS. But, you need to be in the US to apply, and you need to be there for fingerprinting too.

Do you think I can leave after filing the i-131 and come back for the biometrics? it states that I can on the USCIS website but its in the archive bit which might be old rules.

Also what can one do to show an intention to move back to the US? Would getting something on a finance in the US show this?

Well, owning a house or car helps, or having immediate family in the US. Bank accounts help a little less, or investments maybe. Something as simple as a driving licence too. The more you have, the better. But, ties become more important later. Your immediate issue is to be allowed to stay out for two more years without losing your LPR status. By the way, you say you've been out for 3 years. How, with only 1 re-entry permit? If you've been out now for almost a year, go back before a whole year passes or you're screwed.

Well, owning a house or car helps, or having immediate family in the US. Bank accounts help a little less, or investments maybe. Something as simple as a driving licence too. The more you have, the better. But, ties become more important later. Your immediate issue is to be allowed to stay out for two more years without losing your LPR status. By the way, you say you've been out for 3 years. How, with only 1 re-entry permit? If you've been out now for almost a year, go back before a whole year passes or you're screwed.

Thanks for your reply and I made the mistake of staying out of the country for a year after which I was warned and advised to apply for a reentry permit. Also have you ever used 'personal reasons' as a reason or do you know anyone who did and did it work?

Last edited:
Hello Cafe, i activated my GC in USA last year so i am still in my 1st year and booked my flight back there after 11 months out. will this present an issue? also, out of interest, how long will i need to stay before applying for a re-entry permit if needed?