• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

I left the USA via a land border.. do they know I left?

guestgulkan

Since Zuroma is asking questions I will too :)

Pretty much what the title says. I was filling in my DS-260 and noticed my last exit from the USA was via a remote land border into Canada and I haven't been into the USA since. The Canadian border post checked my passport as I was leaving. Does the USA know I left? I'm pretty sure they do however like everyone else I like a little bit of reassurance. I'm guessing the Canadians and Americans link their computer systems to notify each other?

Since Zuroma is asking questions I will too :)

Pretty much what the title says. I was filling in my DS-260 and noticed my last exit from the USA was via a remote land border into Canada and I haven't been into the USA since. The Canadian border post checked my passport as I was leaving. Does the USA know I left? I'm pretty sure they do however like everyone else I like a little bit of reassurance. I'm guessing the Canadians and Americans link their computer systems to notify each other?
Did you give them the I-94 when it was still in paper form or has your departure been more recent? In the latter case check here: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html

Check the departure and arrival record to see if tat shows the departure.

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html

Shockingly - no it doesn't!

But apparently I transit-ed via LAX one time so they cleared it out and know I'm not illegal at least.

If you are a nerd like me you may find the below of interest:

Arrival/Departure Date Port of Entry/Exit
Departure 2013 December 08 LOS - LOS ANGELES, CA
Arrival 2013 December 07 YVR - UNKNOWN
Arrival 2013 October 05 NOO - NOONAN, ND
Departure 2013 December 07

Note the blank departure is the same date as my Vancouver flight.

You could have turned in the I-94 to the Canadian immigration officers, who will forward it to the U.S. If you forgot, according to this FAQ, you can mail it to a CBP address.

On entry into the USA from Canada they stapled a green piece of paper into my passport and I paid $6.
:) The "green piece of paper" presumably is official US form I-94W, used by all Visa Waiver visitors, before it was subsequently abolished for air travel and is still being used for entry from Canada and Mexico by land, for example. Hopefully you did not work in the US when you entered under the Visa Waiver rules, as this might cause problems at your visa interview. Anyway, you might want to follow newacct's advice above and send in your form I-94W well in advance of the visa interview date, in case you still have it in possession. Good luck, guestgulkan.

:) The "green piece of paper" presumably is official US form I-94W, used by all Visa Waiver visitors, before it was subsequently abolished for air travel and is still being used for entry from Canada and Mexico by land, for example. Hopefully you did not work in the US when you entered under the Visa Waiver rules, as this might cause problems at your visa interview. Anyway, you might want to follow newacct's advice above and send in your form I-94W well in advance of the visa interview date, in case you still have it in possession. Good luck, guestgulkan.

Yes I-94W that's the one, no I didn't work. I was only there for three or four days.

I figured out what happened by looking at the dates.

Arrival/Departure Date Port of Entry/Exit
Departure 2013 December 08 LOS - LOS ANGELES, CA
Arrival 2013 December 07 YVR - UNKNOWN <-------------- Same Date
Departure 2013 December 07 <------------------------ Same Date

The immigration office in Vancouver Airport took my I-94W and realised I must've departed the USA previously (because I was entering again from Canada) so added a blank departure record.