• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

I have more than one middle name, help please?

If it is just written as A M in the machine readable portion, then I guess that would be the correct way to write it.

Thank you for your reply!
I know, it's given me much confusion! I have an American visa in which my middle name is written also as A. M.
mmmm!

You have plenty of time before the entries close, I really would try contact the embassy.

Does everyone in your country get this abbreviation in their passports, or would you be able to get a passport with your English names translated in full as well?

I think this is a tricky one, with the Arabic form having the middle names written out in full but the English version different. Even with those instructions I'm not sure how a consular officer would view initials rather than middle names where those names actually exist. Also ...Remember what is in your DV becomes your official US name in the event you get selected. Surely you don't want your official middle name to be A M ....
so.... My inclination would be to write the full two names out in the entry even in English, because in Arabic they are in full. Perhaps this case is worth contacting the embassy in your country to ask them how to proceed. The two different versions can certainly be reconciled in the DS if selected, but it's important to make sure the entry is correct to avoid disqualification.

I'm also in agreement with Susie that writing A M as the middle name is likely to become an issue if you do get selected and years down the road - the system will read your middle name as AM.

Yes the instructions says to write the names exactly as shown on one's passport, however that instruction isn't practical in this case. You can write out both names in full in the middle name section (if the characters are short enough to fit into the available space).

You may also go ahead and contact your embassy to see if you can get any guidance on this.

And if none of the above works, then you'll need to decide (going forward in case of a selection) which of the two you would like listed on your official US documents as your middle name and list that one on the eDV registration. You will have the opportunity of disclosing the other middle name anyways on the DS-260 form if selected.

As "family name<<<<first name<A<M" is included in the machine readable part of the passport, this is the way OP is registered in relevant domestic and international data bases. Hence the recommendation to include this information for the purpose of her eDV registration. I would not see any grounds for disqualification, just the opposite. Of course there is no harm in contacting the US Consulate, possibly there might be a meaningful answer, beyond "follow instructions".
If it were my case, I would subsequently include full length Middle Names in the "Other Names Used" part of the DS-260, if selected for further processing, while maintaining original naming conventions of passport and eDV. Anyway, this is my 2 cents worth...

Last edited: