I have an L1 Visa, how long can I stay in the US if I resign?

Sidewinder

I am considering resigning from the company that organized my L1 Visa. I have been in the US a few years and will therefore need some time to sell cars and organize myself after leaving the company. How long can I stay after my date of resignation?
Thanks...

Hi

No time at all. If you resign from your job then your L visa is cancelled

If you decide to leave job then make arrangements to put affairs in order before you give notice

I am in the same position - i want to resign too but i also wanted to spend some time in the US on tourist activities after i leave and before i return to the uk.

I am from the UK - can i change my L1-B to a Visa Waiver as a tourist for a period no longer than 90 days ?

What if i was to return to the UK and then come back as a tourist under the VWP within a month of leaving ?

immediately upon quiting your job, file I-539 to USCIS to change your status to a B-2 visitor visa. Claim that you need xx number of days/weeks/months to tidy up your affairs and prepare for leaving the US. Upon USCIS receiving the application they will issue a receipt notice. As long as you have the receipt notice (even though they will take months to approve the petition) you are legal to remain in the US. You might want to use this extra time to find a new job and then file a new work petition to the USCIS so that you can work again. Be alert however that you will not be able to apply for an L1 as it will not be a transfer. most likely you will apply for an H1B (of which there are a limited amount) or a TN (if you are Mexican or Canadian).

OK thats an idea - thanks :) ive got a appointment with an immigration officer next week so ill ask about that option. It would save me having to leave and then come back again under VWP and might give me longer to sort my mess out.
Ill let you know what they say.

Looking at the "Who can File With This Form" info in the front of the I-539, it suggests that i cant be used to change status from an L1 visa. Only for someone on L2 status. Also the L1 status is a 'company' visa and it looks like the company would have to make the application to change the status of it. :confused:
Anyhoo - ill find out for sure next week.

Who can use I539 is up to which status you change to, not which status you change from.
Changing to B is with I539.

Not trying to Hijack the thread but I have a similar question.

If I am on a L1 visa and recently married a USC, what happens if my L1 became invalid prior to submitting my AOS or during my AOS process before I receive my EAD?

Not trying to Hijack the thread but I have a similar question.

If I am on a L1 visa and recently married a USC, what happens if my L1 became invalid prior to submitting my AOS or during my AOS process before I receive my EAD?
Better stop working til you get EAD. Your AOS will be fine anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: