I didn't know about the selective service until now. I am 27 and applying for citizenship.

Marcus1987

Hey, I didn't know about the selective service until now. I am 27 and applying for citizenship. I have been in US since July 2007. I want to apply for citizenship, but it said I needed to register to Selective service before i was 26. What can I do now if I want to apply for Citizenship?

Thank you.

Hey, I didn't know about the selective service until now. I am 27 and applying for citizenship. I have been in US since July 2007. I want to apply for citizenship, but it said I needed to register to Selective service before i was 26. What can I do now if I want to apply for Citizenship?

Thank you.

Just do what I did. I didn't know either so I contacted the selective service department, and they gave me a letter simply stating that my failure to register shouldn't obstruct any service or benefit that I am now seeking since I didn't know I had to register or something along those lines. However, when I had my interview the interviewer told me I didn't need to register since I arrived in the US after my 26th birthday (I moved to the US a few months after my 26th birthday). That being said, I applied for citizenship when I was 31 so maybe it didn't matter. My advice is to contact the selective service and discuss it with them.

For more than 10 years now, they have been automatically registering males between 18 and 26 for Selective Service as part of the green card process, so you probably have been registered but don't know it.

Check the Selective Service web site to see if you're registered. If it doesn't verify your registration, phone them and they can do additional searching to find out if you're registered. If they say you're registered but it's not confirmed by the web site, ask them to send you a document confirming your registration so you can bring it to the interview.