I am no Terrorist, any advice?

that's correct, you can request a FOIA at any time, but always keep in mind that they can refuse to give you back information if they decide it's classified due to national security.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I was on Tier III.

Saxo, do you think making the FOIA request in any way helped your case?

guys , could you plz let me know how in the first place i could know what is the reason for putting my application ON HOLD....I guess in your case all its easier as you are asylees and your already in usa so you can go and pay them a visit at the DHS??? or i'm wrong?? in my case i'm a refugee outside the states escaping from my origional country

what do you recommend for an refugee like me who done the interview 6 months ago with the DHS to do?? should i waite or contact them , they send me an email stating my application is pending for further review for eligiblity as a refugee .....usually they send the same message even to the accepted refugees

BUT BUT BUT in my case an extra thing is that the DHS officer didnt accept my aplication neither refused it??which means he cant have the authority to do sooo unless i'm cleared i guess from USA???!!!! does this means an sense to you ...??? should i contact them ??

i guess the reason for me being on hold is i said i used to treat militia and armed men who came to the hospital i work in? but i was still a junior doctor plus i told them my senior doctor used to call the cops as the official regulations state????? is me treating patients becoz of my medical oath is the problem??

if i wait how long its gonna take , could it be years , and at the end does this means a certain no or there is hope ???

plz plz guys if anybody knows anything about the subject i would be grateful

I know how I felt the first time I found out about this. Read all the posts here. Also on this thread http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=298856. Please pray if you believe in God. That's the only solution for me.

Saxo, do you think making the FOIA request in any way helped your case?

I'm not sure, but it is a heck of a coincidence if it didn't. :)

I hope someone else does it too and maybe we can confirm a pattern.

So over the weekend I received the information I requested via FOIA. It's a pack of over 200 pages containing all sorts of information and documents about my immigration case, including notes from the Judge. Also, many places have been left blank with a reference to a section of the INA, explaining that for some reason I can't have access to that information.

I haven't reviewed everything in great detail, but from what I saw, I found out I was placed on Tier I. I'll look more closely at all the information in the FOIA and I'll try to publish all the useful details I can find.

So over the weekend I received the information I requested via FOIA. It's a pack of over 200 pages containing all sorts of information and documents about my immigration case, including notes from the Judge. Also, many places have been left blank with a reference to a section of the INA, explaining that for some reason I can't have access to that information.

I haven't reviewed everything in great detail, but from what I saw, I found out I was placed on Tier I. I'll look more closely at all the information in the FOIA and I'll try to publish all the useful details I can find.

That's what I thought too. I'm thinking about filing a FOIA for my father but since he's been placed on TIER III, the chances of him receiving FOIA info are pretty low. Besides, the entire form seems complicated.

Well, I received my GC yesterday and it's now in my wallet! What a happy Monday!
Now on to petition for my wife and keep waiting until it's time to go for the Citizenship.

BTW, looking more deeply into the FOIA returned documentation I found that my case was held because on my application for asylum when I mentioned that a ransom was paid for my father's release, I wrote: "We paid ransom" as opposed to "My mother paid ransom". As mentioned before, this landed me in the 'Tier I - under duress' category, which I guess made it easier for me to be knocked out of the hold state I was on. I still can't tell if it was my filing of the FOIA that kicked my application back on track, but I guess is still worth a try for those who are on a similar situation.

Well, I received my GC yesterday and it's now in my wallet! What a happy Monday!
Now on to petition for my wife and keep waiting until it's time to go for the Citizenship.

BTW, looking more deeply into the FOIA returned documentation I found that my case was held because on my application for asylum when I mentioned that a ransom was paid for my father's release, I wrote: "We paid ransom" as opposed to "My mother paid ransom". As mentioned before, this landed me in the 'Tier I - under duress' category, which I guess made it easier for me to be knocked out of the hold state I was on. I still can't tell if it was my filing of the FOIA that kicked my application back on track, but I guess is still worth a try for those who are on a similar situation.

What did you write in this part (Information Needed to Search for Record(s))
thx

What did you write in this part (Information Needed to Search for Record(s))
thx

This is exactly what I wrote:
"All documents, notes, attachments, research files or any information related to my I-485 Application for Adjustment of Status (LINXXXXXXXXXX) for Asylum over 1 year ago"

Let us know how it goes once you file it :)

This is exactly what I wrote:
"All documents, notes, attachments, research files or any information related to my I-485 Application for Adjustment of Status (LINXXXXXXXXXX) for Asylum over 1 year ago"

Let us know how it goes once you file it :)

Will do thank you i called a new service request yesterday and i got a diff Email response this time

The status of this service request is:

LIN-09-xxx-xxxxx Your application/petition is curently pending, when a decision has been made you will be notified in writing. Thank you for your patience.

dose this means that the hold is no longer there ?

The old email was

The status of this service request is:

Your case is on hold because you appear to be inadmissible under ?212(a)(3)(B) of the INA, and USCIS currently has no authority not to apply the inadmissibility ground(s) to which you appear to be subject. Rather than denying your application based on inadmissibility, we are holding adjudication in abeyance while the Department of Homeland Security considers additional exercises of the Secretary of Homeland Security?s discretionary exemption authority. Such an exercise of the exemption authority might allow us to approve your case.

Do you think i got a wavier ?

Koteya, I'd strongly urge you not to be highly optimist ( only because you might feel depressed if things didn't turn out to be as you hoped for ).

What Tier did you fall under? My father is going to be mail his FOIA tomorrow and I suppose its about time he made a phone call too! Its been almost 6 months since he received the standardized mail about inadmissibility from the DHS.

What should I write on "Information Needed to Search for Record(s)"?

I'm a derivative asylee who's eligible to apply for Permanent Residency after 3 months. I wish to know whether my application is going to get delayed or not ( since my father's case "appears on hold" ). Hence, I'm thinking of filing for my FOIA too.

Last edited by a moderator:
What should I write on "Information Needed to Search for Record(s)"?

Why do you need to file? file your i-485 when time is right instead. Why die with the assumption of being hold when your case has not even been started?

God_is_green,

I'm guessing that my father has been placed in Tier III ( because his party was mentioned as an example in Human rights report shared by someone else ). Now because he is inadmissible and I'm a derivative asylee, I'm inadmissible too ( that's why my mother's and brother's I-730s haven't been approved ). So when I apply for mine in 3-4 months time, the chances of my application being placed on hold are high ( unless my father's application gets approved by then ).

There isn't a negative aspect of filing for FOIA, is there?

There isn't a negative aspect of filing for FOIA, is there?

If I were you, I would initiate my dad to file FOIA, but not worry much about myself at least for now.
I am on hold too, but my wife's 730 has been approved. I am going to file (i-485 in few months) for my wife anyway.
I understand it's not nice to get stuck in the material bar, as a matter of fact you didn't do any wrong.
More you panic, worse you feel.