I am no Terrorist, any advice?

Hi Koteya,
I'm not sure on which thread but you posted a pdf document about asylees not needing to renew their work permit. I was wondering if you could post that document on this thread. I'm having problem with my employer.

I didn't get what you trying to say!!!

Well let me try to explain what joe try to say is that sometimes when somebody try to help you to file your imigration forms check in the wrong answer or forget to give an answer to any questions and for that reason some not all forms finish to go to be missplaced in a wrong office or go true an extra process that is no need it.
Is good to remeber the good advice that our old forum participant "thankful" gived all times:

"Nothing I say on this board is intended to provide legal advice. Any and all comments made by me are general in nature. Nothing I say on this board may be construed to suggest the existence of an attorney-client relationship. I do not in any way seek to solicit clients here".

and especially the last part:

"Everyone is strongly urged to retain legal counsel. Reliance on comments posted herein is at your own risk".

because only lawyers are familiar whit all the legal words used in the courts.

That's utter nonsense UncleJoe. Perhaps your guess is somewhat correct, in some scenarios but that isn't entirely true. My dad doesn't share his first or last name with a single asylee in the United States ( and he has never been associated with terrorism either, as a matter of fact he was in the military, fighting the rebels fearing who, he sought asylum ), yet he has appeared to be inadmissible.

Walker what Unclejoe is not a nonsense at all and the example that him give abouth two applicants whit the same name and last name is most comun that waht you think remember that every country have certain names and last names that are very comun and sometimes the only diference is a extra letter or a accent note but for a computer that don't make any diference because the words are reading by binary codes and not by alphabetic symbols, and the case of your father maybe him don't share his name or last name whit any other asylee in the USA but remember that is a lot of refugee applications made out site the USA and that applications are processed by the same part of the USCIS that process the asylum pettions, the green cards, the citizen ship,work visas , study visas and TPS so is a big posibility that in some place in the world be somebody that use the same name of your father and that is part of some kind of organization that is part of any radical party or a member of some terrorist organization that have a fake ID or use a fake name and is just like the name of your father. After 911 the USA learn that the terrorist and the enemys are in places like the university of harvard, working in federal jobs, in the airports even close to the pentagone in washington just using visas and whit citizen ships that they get just because nobody was take the time to doble check a name that was already in the black list of the FBI, CIA , DEA or in the INTERPOL just because was from a country that wasn't have ay association whit any terrorist group.

Hi Koteya,
I'm not sure on which thread but you posted a pdf document about asylees not needing to renew their work permit. I was wondering if you could post that document on this thread. I'm having problem with my employer.

Go here to the USCIS web site and in the search window write: 8 CFR 274a.12(a) and after that select the second topic call :

"The Meaning of 8 CFR 274a.12(a) as it Relates to Refugee and Asylee Authorization for Employment."

after the pdf file open you can saved in your own pc or make a paper copy and carry to your employer.

I hope that will help you ..... !

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been almost 6 months since I received that nasty 212.a.3.B letter. Nothing has happened for me.

I have contacted two attorneys and each gave me different, conflicting answers:
One said that the issue was probably that someone with the same/similar name and same/similar date of birth did something bad back in my home country and I'm stuck in name/background check. He suggested going around asking friends inside the government for more information and figure out where the problem is.
The second attorney said the application was on hold because when my father was kidnapped by the FARC (Colombia) my mother paid a ransom for his release.... and that is considered as "material support to a terrorist group". The second attorney said there was nothing to be done right now and advised to wait until there was a resolution.

I also filed a FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) with the Nebraska Service Center, where my application was filed, asking for more details about my case, but it got canceled because I missed a detail, so I only recently filed another one. I got the receipt this week, but who knows how long it will take them to return the information, if any, given that they may consider it classified based on "national security".

Long story longer... nothing yet, very depressing... since I can't do anything. I have fear of leaving the country to visit my family in Canada and then being denied entrance back into the US. I can't petition for my wife, because we weren't married at the time I was granted asylum... I guess at this rate we'll end up getting petitioned by our 2-year-old, us-born son when he turns 18...

People still up for a massive letter/petition to someone up-high in the government?

Hi Koteya,

For that issue, I went to the Social Security office with a copy of the document where I was granted Asylum and requested that they gave me a 'clean' social security card, without the "requires authorization to work" text on it. A couple of weeks later I received it in the mail and nobody ever asked me for the work permit anymore.

I shall be writing to the New York times later this week.

By the way, Saxo, when you get the options 1. US citizen, 2. Permanent resident, 3. Alien allowed to work till...which option do you choose?

I also have an unrestricted social security but still, I was wondering. That's all.

I shall be writing to the New York times later this week.

By the way, Saxo, when you get the options 1. US citizen, 2. Permanent resident, 3. Alien allowed to work till...which option do you choose?

I also have an unrestricted social security but still, I was wondering. That's all.

I always choose Permanent Resident, because in effect that's what I am, I can reside here legally permanently. At least for now. :)
As you probably know, people's brain melt when you try to explain to them that you're an asylee/refugee and you are allowed to stay and work here legally. That's why I go with PR

For someone granted asylum but still to receive a GC, option 3 would make most sense with "Indef" infront of the date.

I always choose Permanent Resident, because in effect that's what I am, I can reside here legally permanently. At least for now. :)
As you probably know, people's brain melt when you try to explain to them that you're an asylee/refugee and you are allowed to stay and work here legally. That's why I go with PR

Yeah but the thing is, I fear that the prospective employer might ask for the GC. I get what you're saying that. I know for sure that on the Social Security website, the office is asked to treat asylees as Permanent residents.

HI Saxo,
That might put you in trouble in the future. The lawyer was telling me about this I-485 case was been pending for 15 years for Iranian guy, when the applicant filed for writ of mandamus the USCIS went back to all of his documents and application and they found that he applied for one of the job as permanent residence the court was deport him for “seeking illegal benefit”.
check with a lawyer to be in the safe side.....

I agree with the comments above. When given the option, always put the actual status. I was referring to questionnaires where I have been given no option to show my actual status. I always try to put the answer that best describes my situation. Sometimes I've gotten questions where it reads: "Citizen, Green Card holder or Other" I would go with "Other:asylee", since I don't have a green card. But If I get: "Citizen, Permanent Resident or Student" I'd probably choose Permanent Resident.

In the end I guess is up to you, but when in doubt always seek counsel from an attorney.

Doing some more research, I came across the attached memo. Can anyone help us understand what it means?

Thanks!

For that issue, I went to the Social Security office with a copy of the document where I was granted Asylum and requested that they gave me a 'clean' social security card, without the "requires authorization to work" text on it. A couple of weeks later I received it in the mail and nobody ever asked me for the work permit anymore.

Thank you for this info.

Just to post an update on my particular case: I got the FOIA receipt confirmation and a few days later I received an e-mail from USCIS informing me that they had sent a letter requesting additional evidence for my case. I don't know what that means but I'm sure I'll get the letter in the mail pretty soon and I'll find out. I guess I'm happy to see any movement (for better of for worse) in my case and it's quite interesting that it started moving just after sending the FOIA request. Coincidence?

Just to post an update on my particular case: I got the FOIA receipt confirmation and a few days later I received an e-mail from USCIS informing me that they had sent a letter requesting additional evidence for my case. ?

Saxo,
This is good news. Did you send your fees?

Just to post an update on my particular case: I got the FOIA receipt confirmation and a few days later I received an e-mail from USCIS informing me that they had sent a letter requesting additional evidence for my case. I don't know what that means but I'm sure I'll get the letter in the mail pretty soon and I'll find out. I guess I'm happy to see any movement (for better of for worse) in my case and it's quite interesting that it started moving just after sending the FOIA request. Coincidence?

What's FOIA request? What form do I use for that, how much is the fee for filing?

One of my dad's compatriot whose case has also been sidelined due to this bar nonsense had his son's licenses suspended last week. His son had applied for a driver's license in the state of California and after waiting for 3 months to receive a release on hold on his son's application from the DHS , he decided to call them and he was told that his son's application has been put on hold too. This is ridiculous.

What's FOIA request? What form do I use for that, how much is the fee for filing?

FOIA = Freedom Of Information Act
In theory, you can request any documentation or information regarding yourself to be released to you, as long as it's not considered classified in national security matters.

The form is G-639 and it's free to file. They may charge you for photocopies if their cost exceeds $25. Look for it at the uscis.gov site.