I am no Terrorist, any advice?

hello all,

Just found TWO New Exemptions that were approved by the DHS and DOS - as latest as February 5th - 2014... These exemption are apart from August 2012 (Limited General Exemption)....

You guys may or may not already know about this... but I just found out, so decided to share with you all....

I think this may be of some help to (if not all), most of our cases..
++++++++++++++++++
web: http://immigrantjustice.org/terrorism-bar-exemptions

Terrorism Bar Exemptions
Below are government-issued memoranda regarding the terrorism-related inadmissibility grounds (TRIG). NIJC pro bono attorneys who believe their asylum clients may be subject to TRIG should contact NIJC as soon as possible.

1. February 2014 Exemption for Limited Material Support (to an individual or Tier III group) That Involves 1) certain routine commercial or social transactions; 2) certain humanitarian assistance; or 3) substantial pressure that does not rise to the level of duress.
    - Federal Register Notice
  2. February 2014 Exemption for Insignificant Material Support

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Federal registrar link # 1: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2014-02-05/pdf/2014-02357.pdf

Federal reistrar link # 2: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2014-02-05/pdf/2014-02357.pdf

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

More information on the exemption is as follows:

Web Link: https://cliniclegal.org/resources/articles-clinic/dhs-and-dos-announce-new-trig-exemptions

DHS and DOS Announce New TRIG Exemptions

inShare
By Tatyana Delgado

On February 5, 2014, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Department of State (DOS) announced two new exemptions from the terrorism-related inadmissibility grounds (TRIG) found at INA§ 212(a)(3).

TRIG aims to exclude individuals who have or will engage in terrorist activities, such as providing material support to terrorist organizations or their members. Material support includes providing transportation, communications, funds, explosives, or training, among other activities.

Terrorist organizations are divided into three categories or ‘tiers.’ Tier I organizations are known as Foreign Terrorist Organizations (FTOs) and Tier II organizations are those found in the DOS Terrorist Exclusion List (TEL). Tier III organizations, which are groups of two or more individuals engaged in terrorist activities, are undesignated and do not appear on a published list. See 212(a)(3)(B) of the INA.

In the recent announcement, DHS and DOS acknowledged that TRIG bars certain individuals who are not threats to public safety or national security from obtaining immigration benefits. As such, DHS and DOS will not apply certain inadmissibility grounds related to material support (specifically, paragraphs 212(a)(3)(B)(iv)(VI)(bb) and (dd) of the INA) to the following:

a) Individuals who provided insignificant material support to Tier III organizations or members of such organizations, or to a person that the individual knows, or reasonably should know, has or will commit a terrorist activity. See Federal Register Notice, 79 FR 6913, available here.

b) Individuals who provided limited material support to Tier III organizations or members of such organizations, or to a person that the individual knows, or reasonably should know, has or will commit a terrorist activity. The limited material support must involve: (1) certain routine commercial or social transactions; (2) certain humanitarian assistance; or (3) substantial pressure that does not rise to duress. See Federal Register Notice, 79 FR 6914, available here.

The reviewing agency has discretion to grant exemptions. Individuals seeking immigration benefits must meet other requirements, including passing background and security checks. They must fully disclose information about the circumstances of any material support. In addition, the given agency must be satisfied that such individuals merit an exemption under the totality of circumstances.

Implementation directives have followed after announcements of other TRIG exemptions, so stay tuned for further developments on this matter.

Issues:
Inadmissibility and Waivers
Resources by type:
Articles by CLINIC

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Web link: http://www.rcusa.org/uploads/pdfs/TRIG Stats, 4-8-14.pdf

Latest Stats on cases on Hold:

hello all,

Just found TWO New Exemptions that were approved by the DHS and DOS - as latest as February 5th - 2014... These exemption are apart from August 2012 (Limited General Exemption)....

You guys may or may not already know about this... but I just found out, so decided to share with you all....

I think this may be of some help to (if not all), most of our cases..
++++++++++++++++++
web: http://immigrantjustice.org/terrorism-bar-exemptions

Terrorism Bar Exemptions
Below are government-issued memoranda regarding the terrorism-related inadmissibility grounds (TRIG). NIJC pro bono attorneys who believe their asylum clients may be subject to TRIG should contact NIJC as soon as possible.

1. February 2014 Exemption for Limited Material Support (to an individual or Tier III group) That Involves 1) certain routine commercial or social transactions; 2) certain humanitarian assistance; or 3) substantial pressure that does not rise to the level of duress.
  2. February 2014 Exemption for Insignificant Material Support

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Federal registrar link # 1: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2014-02-05/pdf/2014-02357.pdf

Federal reistrar link # 2: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2014-02-05/pdf/2014-02357.pdf

More information on the exemption is as follows:

Web Link: https://cliniclegal.org/resources/articles-clinic/dhs-and-dos-announce-new-trig-exemptions

DHS and DOS Announce New TRIG Exemptions

inShare
By Tatyana Delgado

On February 5, 2014, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Department of State (DOS) announced two new exemptions from the terrorism-related inadmissibility grounds (TRIG) found at INA§ 212(a)(3).

TRIG aims to exclude individuals who have or will engage in terrorist activities, such as providing material support to terrorist organizations or their members. Material support includes providing transportation, communications, funds, explosives, or training, among other activities.

Terrorist organizations are divided into three categories or ‘tiers.’ Tier I organizations are known as Foreign Terrorist Organizations (FTOs) and Tier II organizations are those found in the DOS Terrorist Exclusion List (TEL). Tier III organizations, which are groups of two or more individuals engaged in terrorist activities, are undesignated and do not appear on a published list. See 212(a)(3)(B) of the INA.

In the recent announcement, DHS and DOS acknowledged that TRIG bars certain individuals who are not threats to public safety or national security from obtaining immigration benefits. As such, DHS and DOS will not apply certain inadmissibility grounds related to material support (specifically, paragraphs 212(a)(3)(B)(iv)(VI)(bb) and (dd) of the INA) to the following:

a) Individuals who provided insignificant material support to Tier III organizations or members of such organizations, or to a person that the individual knows, or reasonably should know, has or will commit a terrorist activity. See Federal Register Notice, 79 FR 6913, available here.

b) Individuals who provided limited material support to Tier III organizations or members of such organizations, or to a person that the individual knows, or reasonably should know, has or will commit a terrorist activity. The limited material support must involve: (1) certain routine commercial or social transactions; (2) certain humanitarian assistance; or (3) substantial pressure that does not rise to duress. See Federal Register Notice, 79 FR 6914, available here.

The reviewing agency has discretion to grant exemptions. Individuals seeking immigration benefits must meet other requirements, including passing background and security checks. They must fully disclose information about the circumstances of any material support. In addition, the given agency must be satisfied that such individuals merit an exemption under the totality of circumstances.

Implementation directives have followed after announcements of other TRIG exemptions, so stay tuned for further developments on this matter.

Issues:
Inadmissibility and Waivers
Resources by type:
Articles by CLINIC

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Web link: http://www.rcusa.org/uploads/pdfs/TRIG Stats, 4-8-14.pdf

Latest Stats on cases on Hold:

[Thanks for sharing with us, most forum members were aware that. In fact if you would go back to some posts, you will see some discussions in regards.]

gotcha! i wasn't sure that people discussed this before.. i just found out about it and it sounds a bit promising!!

Thank you!

Hi:

Have you heard anything new about your case from the USCIS yet? Since I learned from our forum you also have your case on TRIG hold due to association with EPRP, I felt it would be appropriate for us to share information that we have. Let me know if any on your part and I will keep you posted of mine, if you do not mind the exchange.

Ewed Alehu
Ewed Alehu, 45 minutes ago Edit Report

Ewed Alehu Registered Users (C)
New
In August 2013, the following was a response to me from the USCIS following my written inquiry regarding the status of my case:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding your I-485 application. Your case has been reviewed. Your application is on hold for inadmissibility relating to INA 212(a)(3)(B). According to a review of your file, you were a member of Ethiopian People’s Revolutionary Party (EPRP) prior to 1993 (1975-1980). EPRP met the definition of an undesignated (Tier III) terrorist organization prior to Jan. 1, 1993.

On August 10, 2012 an exemption commonly referred to as the Limited General Exemption (LGE) was published in the federal register. Application of this exemption authority requires USCIS to examine whether the affected alien meets certain qualifications. In addition, USCIS must determine whether the terrorist group at issue meets certain qualifications, including whether the group has targeted U.S. interests or persons; engaged in a pattern or practice of torture, genocide or the use of child soldiers; has been identified in either Executive Order 13224, as amended, or otherwise designated by the Secretary of State or the Secretary of the Treasury pursuant to the Specially Designated Nationals List (SDNL); is found on lists established by United Nations Security Council Committee pursuant to Resolutions 1267 (1999) or 1988 (2011) concerning Al-Qaida and the Taliban and associated individuals and entities; or has ever been designated as a Tier I or Tier II terrorist organization as described in sections 212(a)(3)(B)(vi)(I) and (II) of the INA, 8 U.S.C. 1182(a)(3)(B)(vi)(I) or (II). USCIS is in the process of conducting research to determine the whether groups associated with cases on hold, such as the EPRP, meet the LGE qualifications. If USCIS determines that EPRP is eligible for consideration under the LGE, your case will be removed from the hold, and USCIS will proceed with adjudication. Until USCIS makes such a determination, your case will remain on hold until a new exemption is issued that would benefit."

Here is the response from the USCIS obtained through my two US Senators who made the inquiry on my behalf in June 2014:

"... According to USCIS electronic records, a decision pertaining to Mr.....ABC's I-485 is currently at the Nebrasks Service Center (NSC); however, this permanent residency case has been assigned to a NSC officer for adjudication. If your constituent has not received a USCIS decision or other notice of action regarding his Form I-485 within the next 30-45 days from the date of this E-mail message, you may send us another inquiry regarding his case."

Please note the underlined and italicized statements in both the 2013 response as well as this last 2014 response from the USCIS. I did this to draw your attention to the most relevant parts of the responses:
In August 2013, USCIS said: "...If USCIS determines that EPRP is eligible for consideration under the LGE, your case will be removed from the hold, and USCIS will proceed with adjudication"

Now in June 2014, USCIS said:
"... this permanent residency case has been assigned to a NSC officer for adjudication...."

We can determine from the the USCIS's current response that they (USCIS) have indeed made a determination that EPRP is eligible for consideration under the LGE (the Limited General Exemption of July 2012 signed by J. Napolitano and published in the Federal Register).

This means, your case must have been removed from on-hold status and assigned to an officer for adjudication at your processing center. If you have not heard any progress so far, I advise you to follow up through your state senators immediately.​

Got my GC yesterday it was backdated March 2013 I waited for 11 years. I hope everybody is considering class action law suit to expedite our citizenship. Most of us have been waiting for over a decade. Thanks!

HBA and others who have received (or in the process of receiving) their GC: It will benefit everyone in this group for some people to get a head start in the class action lawsuit for expedited citizenship.
If this class action works, then the rest of the members will also rip the benefits when they get their GC (hopefully soon). I strongly believe both causes are intertwined.
Can you take the leadership on this and let's all together get this class action lawsuit under way?

How many people are interested with the class action lawsuit? I need to know before contacting Ms. Hughes.
Thanks,
HBA

How many people are interested with the class action lawsuit? I need to know before contacting Ms. Hughes.
Thanks,
HBA

For what I can tell ifedup, Ms. A, Hecate, Deep Trigger, you (HBA) and myself have publicly pronounced on this forum our desire to be part of the class action.
To make it easier for everyone, here is what it takes to file one:

How Many People Are Needed For A Class Action?
Although it sometimes helps if several people are named as plaintiffs in the suit, a single person is generally enough to file a lawsuit so long as the attorney for the class has a good faith belief that a number of other people were injured in a similar way. It generally takes at least 30-50 people with similar claims, and sometimes many more, to qualify as a class action.

From the quick and initial count above, we already have 6 people. I know if we reach out to more people, we can easily have 10 total.
I would suggest to use 10 as our core minimum. The others can join at one point or the other, but we can hit the ground running with 10 people as initial plaintiffs.

What do you all think?

That is great! I will email Ms. Hughes right now. I think we should all send her an email. Stating how long we have been waiting for GC.
HBA

HBA - Can you share Ms. Hughes' email as well as a format?
i.e We can all maybe send our full names, city and state, and how long we've paid taxes and been exemplary citizens in this country while waiting on our GC.
Something in the lines of:

Hello Ms. Hughes,
Thank you for your willingness in landing a hand on this class action law suit.
My name is "FULL NAME".
I live in "City, State".
I have been in the United States since "Provide Date of Entry".
I applied for my Green Card since "Month/YEAR" was placed into TRIG hold.
I received my GC in "MONTH/YEAR", or I have not yet received my GC.
I hereby certify that I give my consent to be listed as a plaintiff in the class action law suit for reparations and path to citizenship reduction.

This is just a sample/example format everyone can use to speed up the process. Please suggest a different one if needed.

I will make sure to post any new updates including emails. The format you posted is great for anybody who wants to email Ms. Hughes.

Thanks,
HBA

For what I can tell ifedup, Ms. A, Hecate, Deep Trigger, you (HBA) and myself have publicly pronounced on this forum our desire to be part of the class action.
To make it easier for everyone, here is what it takes to file one:

How Many People Are Needed For A Class Action?
Although it sometimes helps if several people are named as plaintiffs in the suit, a single person is generally enough to file a lawsuit so long as the attorney for the class has a good faith belief that a number of other people were injured in a similar way. It generally takes at least 30-50 people with similar claims, and sometimes many more, to qualify as a class action.

From the quick and initial count above, we already have 6 people. I know if we reach out to more people, we can easily have 10 total.
I would suggest to use 10 as our core minimum. The others can join at one point or the other, but we can hit the ground running with 10 people as initial plaintiffs.

What do you all think?
count me in.

Lets start the process, sent our info to one person who can collect consent to pursue further, like we did last time before it failed to proceed.