I am a GC holder if I give birth a child in India..

MadhuriDixit

Registered Users (C)
What would be the status of the baby.
If I become a US citizen and give birth in India will the baby become a US citizen too?

No Title

if you are on green card and give birth to a baby in india then the baby is born Indian and you have to sponsor for him which I suppose will take quite a long time but if you are a citizen and then travek to India to give birth then the baby can get US citizenship the process is done through the local consulate

check the INS web site for complete detail

I think Rbhat is correct

U can bring the child into usa without any doc as per the URL mentioned By U. But no where, it was mentioned the child will get USA citizenship.

I think, he will be only INdian not american by birth ......whereas if the citizens have their baby abroad, they can get the baby usa citizenship...

US citizen gives birth to a child in foreign country, what then?

When a United States citizen gives birth to a child in a foreign country, the US citizen parent should take the child, birth certificate and evidence of the US Citizen parent\'s (parents\') US citizenship to the nearest US Embassy/Consulate to determine if the child was able to derive citizenship. the citizenship of the other parent, marital status and other issues may assist or impede the decision. Please contact an attorney or call the INS National Customer Service Line: 18003755283