I-94 valid for 6 mths

PUNITASIC

Registered Users (C)
My Father in law was issued a visa fro 3 mths in India.
When he came here at POE he got I-94 for 6 mths.

what do we need to keep as evidence that his stay is authorised
till 6 mths for his next visit?

I-94 is given back.

Is a copy of I-94 fine for next visit or next
visa application.

Hi

My in-laws too got a visitor visa in India which is valid for 3 months today (04/09) We were a kind of upset after hearing that the visa is valid only for 3 months. We thought that they would not be able to stay for more than 3 months

But looks like that is not the case...a person with 3 month visa can get a I-94 of more than 3 months at POE.

Thanks very much for posting. Believe me it was a great relief !!!

Tha is true. You can get a six months stay even if visa is valid for 3 months. The visa is a permission to enter the US within the time it is valid, while the actual stay period is determined by the I-94 date.

Just as a word of advice, please do keep a copy of I-94 for future visa stamping. I read about a similar case in a another forum where sombody's parents had problems getting a visa the second time. It seems the consulate officer thought that they had overstayed as their visa was valid for 3 months, but they had stayed for 6 months. Without the copy of I-94 they had no way of showing they had not overstayed. So do keep the I-94 copy. You may thank me one day for this advise :) !!

sertra2002

Last edited by a moderator:
Visa not related to stay

Ok, I am not a legal person .. but I pretty much know this..

US Visa issued at abroad holds good only at the time of entry. When 3 month visa is issued, it means the person can enter the US using this visa in the next three months. If visa expires on Sep 30, the person can enter on Sep 29.

When the person enters into US, at Port of Entry , the Immigration officer decides how long the person can stay based on the reason of his trip - specifies in the I-94 card. This timeframe can be anytime from 1 day to 6 months (at sole descretion of the officer - HE IS THE GOD at that time).

Once the person enters US, visa does not have any value. Hope this clears some of your confusions with Visa and I-94.

This forum has good inputs about the B visa.
I have a question regarding this too. My parents are planning to come to visit me. I want them to visit me frequently.
If they get the I-94 with 6 months stay and they go back to india after the 6 month period, if they want to come again how much gap should they give?

Yes, it is always good to keep copies of any immigration documents for future reference. If anyone stays for the period stipulated in the I-94, normally applicants do not have problems at the port of entry. Visa is only an entry permit and not a stay permit.

www.passintl.com

I94 stamped for more duration (May be by mistake)

Hi,
I entered US on 19th Sept,2004 on B1 visa and surprisingly my I94 was stamped for 18th ,Dec, 2005.Ideally it should have been 18th, Dec,2004 considering the normal practice to allow 3 months stay.My VISA is valid till Sept,2005. I have already completed more than 3 months now.
I am afraid what if the date entered by the INS officer in the system is still 18th ,Dec, 2004, then I will be caught.

Can anybody please let me know its repurcussion at the earliest possible. I can ask my company to arrange for my departure at the earliest.

Your prompt reply will save my career .

Thanks & Regards,
Gajendra

gkbarachha said:
Hi,
I entered US on 19th Sept,2004 on B1 visa and surprisingly my I94 was stamped for 18th ,Dec, 2005.Ideally it should have been 18th, Dec,2004 considering the normal practice to allow 3 months stay.My VISA is valid till Sept,2005. I have already completed more than 3 months now.
I am afraid what if the date entered by the INS officer in the system is still 18th ,Dec, 2004, then I will be caught.

Can anybody please let me know its repurcussion at the earliest possible. I can ask my company to arrange for my departure at the earliest.

Your prompt reply will save my career .

Thanks & Regards,
Gajendra

Technically, and by law, you are alright to be given an I-94 with a validity of one year. It is the maximum authorized stay given to someone entering on a B1/B2 visa even though it is not normally given on your first entry. B1 visitors are normally given just the number of days they need to stay in the US while B2 visitors are given a minimum of 6 months regardless whether they request it or not. However, it was most likely that the POE inspector just made a mistake in setting his stamp date. Nothing to worry about. Even though there may have been a mistake, it wasn't a violation of the law. Just consider yourself lucky as a result of the mistake. The record willl show that you were authorized up to one year stay as shown on you i-94. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooops! I misread the dates on your original post! :(

To be given one year authorized stay is ok. But, since you were obviously given a year and a half by mistake, that was not in accordance with the law since you can only have a maximum of 1 year stay. It is not a cause of great worry though until you actually stay too long in the US making the authorities suspect that you have the intention all along of not leaving if you can. Just do your normal business of being a bona fide tourist and then depart after a reasoanable amount of time just like average tourist will real life's responsibilities do. The longer you stay in the US the more you have to justify yourself why you spent more than what's normally given to the majority of bona fide tourists. Make sure you surrender your I-94 when you leave so that the record will show that you did not abuse the system(regardles of someone's mistake).
You can report the mistake to CBP if you have a chance and most likely they will replace your I-94 with the correct dates and you will not be charged a fee.

6-month or 1-month stay on B2. Please advise, anyone?

Back in 2000, my Mom came as a tourist and got 6-month approval on her I-94. But then after 9/11/2001, I heard that tourists would only be allowed 1-month at port of entry. My Mom applied for visa but she goofed at the Consulate (by saying she planned to stay for 1 year) and her case was denied.

Anyhow, here are my two questions. Please advise:

(1) Has the 6-month stay returned back to normal, instead of 1-month? I would like to know this to schedule the air ticket.

(2) My Mom now has a new passport and plans to apply for a visa to come this summer. I'm afraid that if she hides the 2001 occasion that her visa has never been denied, would it hurt her application?

Thanks in advance.

perhapssomeday said:
Back in 2000, my Mom came as a tourist and got 6-month approval on her I-94. But then after 9/11/2001, I heard that tourists would only be allowed 1-month at port of entry. My Mom applied for visa but she goofed at the Consulate (by saying she planned to stay for 1 year) and her case was denied.

Anyhow, here are my two questions. Please advise:

(1) Has the 6-month stay returned back to normal, instead of 1-month? I would like to know this to schedule the air ticket.

{The stay allowed for any visitor has been at the descretion of the officer
at the POE and remains so. However in most of the cases they do allow
6 months. Personal experience with parents (2 times) , in-laws (1 time).}

(2) My Mom now has a new passport and plans to apply for a visa to come this summer. I'm afraid that if she hides the 2001 occasion that her visa has never been denied, would it hurt her application?

Thanks in advance.

{my response}

Raju

At the port of entry, my mom and dad did not get any stamp on the I-94. They came on a visitors visa. There is no valid until date on the I-94. Their visa is a 10 yr multiple entry visa. Is this ok or is there a problem with this ? Any feedback would be appreciated.

I94 H1B Extension

Hi, please help anybody.
I recently filed for my H1b extension at the begining of April then I went overseas in the middle of April while my extension was being processed. When I returned on May 2nd (got my I94 stamped May 2) I received a confirmation email saying that my extension got approved April 30. I heard that my I94 somehow invalidates my recently approved extension. Is that true? How can I fixed my problem without having to reapply ($5K) or risk leaving the country? Is there a quick fix for my situation? What would happen if I just sit tight and don't leave the country and wait until I have to file another extension, will that work?
I really appreciate any advice. Thanks for you help.

Can someone assist me in this?
Myself & my wife had come to Detroit on a 10 yr multiple entry visa. The interviwing officer listened to our reasons for visiting USA and verbally told us that he is granting 6 months stay to both of us but inadvertantly stamped as 6months for me & 3 months for my wife. It appears from the stamping that he had used different stamps and in my wife's case, not adjusted the date correctly. This was identified only later at home in Detroit.
How to rectify the entry?

I-94 valid for 6 mths

My Father in law was issued a visa fro 3 mths in India.
When he came here at POE he got I-94 for 6 mths.

what do we need to keep as evidence that his stay is authorised
till 6 mths for his next visit?