I-94 good till 2019 but Visa Expiring 2017

gerallos

This has probably been asked multiple times but I went back on the threads and couldn't find anything related.

I applied for a 3 year TN visa last year, my I-94 is good till Oct 2019 but my Visa has an expiration date of Oct 2017. However, at the bottom of my visa where it states NAFTA Profession it has dates of 2016 to 2019 just like the I-94.

It is only May but I want to get my facts straights and have enough time in case I need to go to the consulate office and re-apply for a TN visa or if it is possible to do it by mail.

Thanks for your help!

US visas are only for entry, and only need to be valid on the day you enter the US. Visa expiration has no relevance for your status in the US. TN visas for Mexican nationals are generally valid for 1 year, so it is normal that it expires before your status does (TN status is for 3 years from initial entry). If you stay in the US, you don't need a US visa, since if you are already inside, you don't need to "enter" (and you can't get a US visa inside the US). Only if you need to leave the US and re-enter after the visa's expiration might you need to get a new visa. (Also, if you are going for less than 30 days to Mexico and Canada, you may be able to re-enter on Automatic Revalidation if your previous I-94 is valid even if your visa is expired.)

Thanks! this is very helpful information!

I was able to find information on the Automatic Revalidation on the CBP website, if anyone is in need of this just type it in the search bar.