I-94 extension issues

sriman1

Hi all,

My parents are in US on B visa (for 10 years) with I-94 stamped for 6 months (till Nov25, 2004). Please help me with my following questions:

1. What form I need to use for I-94 extension?

2. When should I proceed with applying the I-94 extension form ie a month before expiration..?

3. If they apporve it then will they stamp the I-94 also or do we have to take it to some other local office for its stamping? If denied, can we reapply
or they will have to leave US asap?

4. If we file for extension but we do not receive anyhting till Nov 25 then can they stay further?

5. I heard that now there are new rules for I-94 extensions after 6 months such as going back to Canada/Mexico or homeland and then reenter. Is this true?

Thanks a lot for your help.
sri

Last edited by a moderator:
1) http://uscis.gov/graphics/faqs.htm Click on Extension of Stay.

2) If you submit your application & after Nov 25th if you find out that your application is lost in mail, u could be in trouble. So to avoid this, u should submit the application so that you receive the acknowledgement from INS before Nov 25th. .

3) They will send you a new I-94. Nothing else is required. If u get denied because there was a mistake, I think u can re-apply. But personaly I would not re-apply.

4) As long as you receive the acknowledgement before Nov 25th, u r safe & don't have to leave the country. I think it takes them about 2 or 3 weeks to send the acknowledgement. You should call if u don't get an acknowledgement before Nov 25th. After that u can check the status Online.

5) I don't know if there are rules, but someone I know did try to go to Canada & return. The immigration officer did not extend the stay. He advised the parent to return to the country where the Visa was issued & then enter the US.

Hi, I applied for an extension for my girfriend in may, and recieved the denial of the extension about 10 days ago. Since then I have talked to an immagration lawyer who has clarified some things for me. Here is what I learned from her and from my personal experience.
1.) They sent back the original I-94 with the date of denial on the back.
2.) If they deny the extension, you are "out of status" the day they stamp the date of denial on the letter that they send you. Since it took the denial 5 days to get to me in the mail from the date they stamped it, if you get a denial you are out of status, before you get it in the mail. Not good.
3.) If you are out of status even 1 day, your 10 year visa is void according to the law. As a practical matter, you may or may not be allowed back into the country on the same visa. The lawyer I talked to said that if you were lucky, you might get back in. But you would have to expain the circumstances and even then it may not help.
4.) You are not out of status while they are processing the extension, it is best to leave before they make a decision if you want to be safe. Just make sure you keep the receipt that they mail you when you file the extension. It took them 10 weeks to process my girlfriend's extension.
5) You cannot appeal a denial of extension for a B2 visa.

Is this the vermont service center where you applied? What reason did they specify for denial. Let us know

thanks
-Raj

Last edited by a moderator:
denial

No, I applied to the California Service Center. They sent what looked like a form letter and said that they could not grant the extension of stay because "the appilicant has failed to establish that she is eligible for the requested extension of stay." I sent in all the required forms and statements that were required. I said that she would be visiting my friends and family, and traveling to California.

Thats bad..I am sorry.. I just applied for an extension for my mother.. Keeping my fingers crossed..I applied at the VSC..

Mee too.. Waiting since July.

I applied on the Web on July 10, 2004 and sent in all supporting documents via mail a week later.

I received the receipt notice dated July 12th.

1. Has there been any approvals for applications made over the web?

2. How long do would it take to know about the end result of this application. My parents I94 is expiring Sep 20th.

3. If I dont hear back by Sept 20th, Should I ask them to leave so that they dont become out of status (just in case if their visa is rejected)?

Appreciate your help.

thanks,
mitwaaa