I-90 renewal time and required forms

pani123456

Hi,

1)
I e-filed for GC renewal by creating my login and paid the required Fingerpriting fee ( $450/- ) online.
In the receipt, it says :
Next Steps: Send supporting documentation to the address below, if required........

Does this mean, I don't need to send any supporting documents unless I am asked ?
I checked I-90 instructions also for list of supporting documents but it doesn't mention any thing.
Even my MSC receipt ( i.e. I797C, Notivce of Action ) doesn't mention about required documents except about the Biometrics.

2) Processing Times are showing 6.5 months when I checked my receipt status.
My GC is expiring in 5.5 months.
Does this mean I will not be out of status for that 1 month period ?
Do I need to apply for EAD ?
Do I need to apply for Advance Payroll to travel abroad ?

Please let me know.

Thank you.

1. You need to submit a copy of your existing card, at least

2. As a permanent resident, you cannot be "out of status" unless you lose permanent resident status. The card expiring has no effect on your permanent resident status. After applying for a renewal you can go in for an InfoPass appointment and get an I-551 stamp, which is equivalent to the card (which is also an I-551) in every way. As a permanent resident you cannot get EAD or AP.

Do I need to apply for EAD ?
No, but if you need to change jobs after your GC expires and before receiving the new GC, you will need either an I-551 stamp in your passport (which you can obtain at USCIS by showing the I-90 receipt), or a Social Security Card without the employment restriction wording + another ID (see list B of the I-9). If you didn't already obtain an unrestricted SS card, go ahead and do that before your GC is expired.

Jackolantern,
Hi, I have the same question as Pani123456 - After I e-filed the form I-90, it says "Send supporting documentation to the address below, if required........" There is no instruction to send the current green card..or anything additional. Any thought as if any document needs to be mailed after the e-filing?

You just need to send a copy of your GC. The renewal sticker with a validity of 9 months will be put at the back of the GC during finger printing.