I-864 - Employment letter and bank statement a must?

peeyen

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

Does one need to send an employment letter and bank statement when filing an Affidavit of Support (I-864) for a family based petition (Parents). I will be sending them last years tax transcript as per the instructions.

Thanks in advance.

You need last year's tax return (I guess last year's tax transcript works too!) and an employment letter and/or a recent paystub. We sent just a recent paystub and so far, they didn't need more.

As long as you meet the income requirement through your employment and are not dependent on your savings in the bank, you just need to send your tax return or tax transcript as Patty mentioned. However, if you can get a letter of employment too that wouldn't hurt.

Good Luck

peeyen said:
Hi All,

Does one need to send an employment letter and bank statement when filing an Affidavit of Support (I-864) for a family based petition (Parents). I will be sending them last years tax transcript as per the instructions.

Thanks in advance.

W2/1040 from most recent year and copy of most recent paystub to show proof of employment is good to go with the I-864 and employment letter is not needed in this case.

If you...
-did not meet income requirements previous year but meet this year,
-had not filed taxes for the previous year or did not work the previous year
-recently started your job
you need to get a letter from your employer stating your nature of job and how much you earn. You also need to submit a recent copy of your paystub to support the letter.