I-751 - Travelling with 1 year paper extension

mmsoba

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
Has anyone traveled with the automatic (1 year paper) extension that is granted once the I-751 has been received by USCIS (in the form of NOA letter)? Do countries like India/Pakistan (or other countries in sub-continent) have any issues with showing the paper extension along with expired green card (while entry / exiting)? Any input or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
mmsoba

I traveled with my I-751 extension letter but that travel was limited to Canada only. My I-751 took 75 days only and thus one trip to Canada was all I could manage. With regards to India and Pakistan, I am pretty sure the airline agents there are aware of the I-751 extension letter.

Hi,
Has anyone traveled with the automatic (1 year paper) extension that is granted once the I-751 has been received by USCIS (in the form of NOA letter)? Do countries like India/Pakistan (or other countries in sub-continent) have any issues with showing the paper extension along with expired green card (while entry / exiting)?

HI .

I just came back US yesterday from Asia with 1 year extension letter. I did not have any problem. The only thing , you have to bring your greencard & NOA when you check in. Even the policer did not ask me a word when i enter to US.

Good luck

Traveling

Hi
I am traveling in canada and looks like my trip will get extended for a few months, and my question to (Triple) and other gurus is, when I file my i-751 will I have to put down a canadian address even though my official address and the place where i receive mail is still in US? By the way what is the requirement for having "lived in anyother address" as asked in the i-751 form?

In the last month I traveled 3 times with the extension to:

- UAE
- Italy
- Russia

No issues whatsoever.
Last time I got back in the US the immigration officer at the POE (JFK) told me: "That's good you brought this paper, this way I don't have to send you to the other room".
He meant secondary inspection most likely.
So I guess even if you don't bring the extension, you could still be admitted after secondary inspection.
Obviously, I recommend bringing the extension.

you will be fine if you bring both expired GC and extension paper. You can travel internationally.