1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I-751: Tax Returns

Discussion in 'Family Based Green Card -Through Marriage/Relative' started by marissa07, Nov 17, 2008.

  1. marissa07

    marissa07 Registered Users (C)

    Hey guys,

    I am in the process of putting all the supporting documents together for my I-751.

    I have a quick question regarding tax returns:

    1) Normally how many years worth of tax returns does one send - past 2 years are enough?

    2) What kind of tax returns documents are needed - "Form 1040" and "State tax form"?

    Thanks for your help in advance!
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2008
  2. myredskins

    myredskins Registered Users (C)

    I think tax returns serve the purpose that you guys have a shared financial life. And that only is partly true if you filed jointly. So if you filed your taxes jointly you can send them. If not, I dont see the point. There could be other reasons though. State taxes if filed jointly I'd send them too.

    I'd send them for the period in which you guys have been married, for most people its going to be 2 yrs.

    As a rule of thumb: The more information you can provide the better. If it means u-hauling all the paperwork there, I'd say go for it ms.

    I got this from some other blog:
    List of documents submitted:
     A list detailing each of the documents submitted (more specific and detailed than this one)
     I-751 Application Form
     Additional addresses page (required if you’ve lived at more than one address during your residency)
     Two 2”x2” passport photos
     Copy of Permanent Residence Card (front and back required)
     Sworn affidavit from my father
     Sworn affidavit from friends who’ve known us (2)
     Sworn affidavit from my mother and stepfather
     Photographs of ourselves taken on trips and events during the conditional residency period (we submitted 30 prints from digital shots using Snapfish’s service)
     Air way bill and receipt for move to the US
     Certificate of group health coverage
     Residency verification or copies of leases from apartment complexes (we’d lived in two complexes during this time and submitted both)
     Puppy guarantee from breeder showing both our names
     State vehicle certificates of title for each car
     State Vehicle Registrations for each car
     Flight itinerary from Orbitz for trips taken
     Any IRA or other beneficiary forms showing spouse as beneficiary
     Copy health insurance cards
     Letter from apartment complexes showing renewal options
     Renter’s insurance policies at each address
     Energy bill showing letter of credit and service period (they couldn’t send us back copies of our bills since we were on e-bill)
     Copy of credit cards showing our names using the same number
     COBRA coverage documents
     Copies of current and previous auto insurance for each car and at each address
     Phone bills/phone service confirmation at each address showing both our names
     Copy of lease on the house we’re currently renting
     Current and previous water bills showing both our names
     Purchase contract for car showing both names (if applicable)
     Joint bank account statements
     Federal tax returns filed for each year
     State tax returns filed for each year
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2008
  3. trinity16

    trinity16 Registered Users (C)

    As myredskins said... as many years you have after your marriage filed jointly, you should send them. You should send all the tax and tax related paperwork you have on both your names, including W2s. :)
    Good Luck!
  4. abd0407

    abd0407 New Member

    i 751

    hi there i am try to send messge in forums but i dont know how can you help me pleas

Share This Page