I-485 Interview for parent

ymcGC

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

My sister is currently applying GC for my father. My sister lives in Ohio, but my father is now living with me in California. My father's I-130 got approved in April, my sister then filed I-485 for him. Now my father got an interview notice, ask him to go to local USCIS to interview, I have several questions, if you have any experience, please share with me your thoughts:
1. My father doesn't speak much English, can I go with him as his translator?
2. On the notice letter, it says "if you have any children, please bring the birth certificate for each of the child", my father doesn't have all the birth certicate for each children, he only has my sister's birth certificate with him, is that ok?
3. What material do I need from my sister?
Copies of filed I-864 forms, copy of my sister's W-2, copy of my sister's proof of employment letter, copy of my sister's Tax returns, copy of my sister's citizenship card. Anything else?
4. Do I need to bring anything to prove the relationship between my father and me since he puts my current address as his future living place after he gets his GC.
5. How long does it usually take to get the GC after the interview.

I appreciate all your answers.

Thank you.

A1: Yes you can, provided you are a GC holder or a US citizen.
A2: Gather other documents that have the date of birth for his other kids.
A3: Assuming your sister is the one providing the I-864, what you have mentioned seems adequate.
A4: Any official document that shows you are his child.
A5: If approved, card should follow in a matter of weeks.

More questions

Hi Guys,

I have questions again. I just realized that my Dad's original birth certificate has been submitted along with I-485, and we forgot to keep a copy of it, so can we not to bring his birth certificate. He will have a interview in two weeks. Please shed me some lights if you have the experience.

Thanks a lot.

My Dad's interview is in two weeks, if he gets another one,I guess it will take longer than two weeks. I also heard that I only need to prepare documents that we didn't provide the original ones at the time of submitting the I-485, if that's the case, I think my Dad doesn't need to bring his birth certificate any more, is that true. Please give me some input.

Thanks for your time.