I-485 Help

Dan1234

Hello. I'm currently in the process of filing my I-485. I'm currently in the states and preparing to file my adjustment of status with my wife (U.S Citizen). I have an issue with the criminal background evidence. Unfortunately my time in the states is limited to another 3 weeks and i may not have an official/court certified document of my conviction. With the limited time frame i'm working i may not be able to obtain a original/court certified copy in time for the filing (unless found at home). My conviction was for assault without intent and was committed when i was under 18, i was admitted to the local youth offending I have managed to obtain an attorney letter stating the offense and the court hearing and i have also managed to obtain a record from the youth offending team stating the completion of my charges (community service)
I'm guessing this will effect my application but how much?
If i cannot get hold of a court certified copy or the original i'm thinking about writing a cover letter explaining the case and that i will be able to obtain court soon. I'm also thinking with the biometrics fingerprinting they can also find the conviction there?

I am not sure if the documents you have now will suffice; you could try filing with what you have and if it's not enough, they will probably give you an RFE asking you for more documents.

Also, you don't have to file the Adjustment of Status before your status expires, although the sooner the better.