I-140 Denied

kramc

I got an RFE in September for an Educational Evaluation and Progressive Experience. The response to the RFE was received and then I-140 petition was denied citing this reason "The beneficiary evaluation states QUOTE towards the completion of academic studies leading to a Bachelors degree END QUOTE. The eavluation does not(underline) say it is equivalent to a Bachelors degree. There fore, it has not been established that the beneficiary is the holder of an advanced degree or is of exceptional ability in the sciences arts or business".
The evalutaion cleary states that it is equivalent(I have a BE Comp. Science from a reputed Univ) in 3 places. So the lawyer is saying that we should go for a Motion to Reconsider instead of an appeal which takes a longer time. I have also been in the USA for a long time and I am on a H1. Does anyone know what the best course of action would be.
If I go for Motion to Reconsider, will I loose my opportunity to appeal which lapses in 30 days. If so then the "Denied" decision would be final. How about new 140??How about doing both a Motion and an appeal.
Ideas are most welcome....

better take second opinion

I feel you should take a second opinion from another attorney,
by payng 1/2 hour consulting fee and explaining the situation to them.

If you have completed BE ,did you not submit the Degree certificate?

kramc, where did you get your degrees evaluated from?

I believe there are several agencies that evaluate degrees for various purposes, such as university admission for post graduation, etc. INS accepts evaluation from selected agencies. These agencies have the experience and information to rate different educational degrees from around the world. All that they establish in such cases is to prove the fact that your degree is equivalent to a bachelor US degree in the field of your specialization. I hope that you have other credentials (such as experience letters from previous employers) strong enough to prove your "progressive experience" for 5 years (if yours is a BS + 5 yrs EB2 case).

You could quickly get a second evaluation from one such agencies to establish your qualification and then appeal (or "Motion to reconsider" on the basis of that). If I was you I would have done an appeal instead of motion to reconsider. I feel it is better to stick to the INS procedures. But, perhaps your lawyer knows better.

Sorry to hear about your case. But, all is not lost. You can definitely appeal and reverse this decision. Don\'t worry about losing the time now. Your immediate goal should be to back up your appeal strongly.

No Title

Yes. I had sumitted my degree certificate, transcripts, educational evaluation that clealry says in 3 places that this is equivalent to BS Comp. Sc.

No Title

The education evaluation was from Morningside. I had given all previous experince letters etc. to prove progressive experience. My disappointment is that the reason cited. They say that the evaluation does not say it is equivalent whereas I saw the evaluation and it says in 3 places that it is equivalent.
My lawyer is saying Motion to Recon. with a another evaluation from a different agency is better bcos they have made a mistake in not going through the evaluation properly.
My concern is if I do not appeal in 30days the decision is final. If such a thing happens then what next??

why don\'t you just take online courses to get the M.S. degree from any university in USA? It just

what a big idiot you are. period.

You are really a mean person!

Please do not respond if you can offer mainly insults. This is not welcomed on this board. Period.

eb1_gc

Actually, getting an MS now probably wouldn\'t help since he didn\'t have the degree when he took the position.

It is not possible to hire someone with a BS as a Systems Analyst, have the person get a MS, and then file an LC under Systems Analyst and claim that at MS is required for the position of Systems Analyst. The person did not have that degree and was hired as a System Analyst so how can the company now claim that the MS is required?

If you\'re going to be insulting at least get it right.

Jim

Well Said Jim and Marta,

Some People like this fellow EB1_GC should know how to encourage/help others. At least, if they are not taught to do all these good things to others, then they should keep their mouth shut. This is not a way to help a man who is in need. Some people won\'t know the pain of others, till they get the same.

Nan Shi

Re: No Title

Originally posted by kramc
The education evaluation was from Morningside. I had given all previous experince letters etc. to prove progressive experience. My disappointment is that the reason cited. They say that the evaluation does not say it is equivalent whereas I saw the evaluation and it says in 3 places that it is equivalent.
My lawyer is saying Motion to Recon. with a another evaluation from a different agency is better bcos they have made a mistake in not going through the evaluation properly.
My concern is if I do not appeal in 30days the decision is final. If such a thing happens then what next??

Kramc,
Could you please tell me what happened about your case. I have a similiar evaluation from morningside that I was going to send in, in response to my 140 Denial.

Thanks

I-140 intention to deny due to lack of Edu equivalency

Hello,
I am looking for recommendation for educational evaluators.

Here is my case:
BCIS sent intention to deny my I-140. The reason being:
The requirement in LCA is BS(comp sci) or equivalent.
I have a BSc(comp. sci) + Computer course from Anna university.
The educational evaluation submitted states both my degree+the course is equivalent to BS(comp. sci) in US. BCIS claims the equivalency should not take two certificates, instead it should take just one (i.e just my Bsc degree).

The plan now is to get educational evaluation for getting equivalency only with my Bsc degree.
If I do not get any evaluation in this way, legal argument will be put forth along with a best evaluation we get.

1. Is it possible to get equivalency with just my Bsc(comp sci) degree. (to BS)
2. What are the educational evaluators you guys recommend?
(Any best eval who BCIS recognizes)
3. Any other idea?

I have also looked at the link

http://www.murthy.com/ukmurtak.html

smh

Re: I-140 intention to deny due to lack of Edu equivalency

Originally posted by smhsha
Hello,
I am looking for recommendation for educational evaluators.

Here is my case:
BCIS sent intention to deny my I-140. The reason being:
The requirement in LCA is BS(comp sci) or equivalent.
I have a BSc(comp. sci) + Computer course from Anna university.
The educational evaluation submitted states both my degree+the course is equivalent to BS(comp. sci) in US. BCIS claims the equivalency should not take two certificates, instead it should take just one (i.e just my Bsc degree).

The plan now is to get educational evaluation for getting equivalency only with my Bsc degree.
If I do not get any evaluation in this way, legal argument will be put forth along with a best evaluation we get.

1. Is it possible to get equivalency with just my Bsc(comp sci) degree. (to BS)
2. What are the educational evaluators you guys recommend?
(Any best eval who BCIS recognizes)
3. Any other idea?

I have also looked at the link

http://www.murthy.com/ukmurtak.html

smh

I was going to suggest www.murthy.com but u've already seen that.
Is your Bsc. 3 years ? (from India?)
If its less than 4 years I doubt any evaluator will be able to give u a 4 yr BS CS equivalency. (I'm sorry, I'm just being honest, I'm going through a similar thing)
This seems to be a new trend that BCIS is using to deny GC's I guess.
You must have done your credential evaluation at the time of filing. Who did it and what was the equivalency?

I used FIS at www.fis-web.com and got an expert opinion letter.
I was told they are very reputed.
They did a very professional job (Bsc. Phy + 1yr course = BA CS).

I am in the process of filing my appeal for the denial.
I can only hope things work out for us.

I did!

Originally I did submit a educational evaluation which mentions the equivalency for BS mentioning about ( Bsc + the course = BS CS)
BCIS rejected because the equivalency cannot be taken this way as equivalency should have only one certificate and the equivalency cannot be claimed with 2 certificates.(Bsc degree cert+ course cert).

Yes I have Bsc comp sci - 3yrs.

I have contacted FIS this morning too.
I did see the expert opinion option.. What is it?
Does it help our situ?
I have asked for Document by Document evaluation only.
Do you think I should ask for the expert opinion also?

I hope things work out for us and wish you the best.

Re: I did!

Originally posted by smhsha
Originally I did submit a educational evaluation which mentions the equivalency for BS mentioning about ( Bsc + the course = BS CS)
BCIS rejected because the equivalency cannot be taken this way as equivalency should have only one certificate and the equivalency cannot be claimed with 2 certificates.(Bsc degree cert+ course cert).

Yes I have Bsc comp sci - 3yrs.

I have contacted FIS this morning too.
I did see the expert opinion option.. What is it?
Does it help our situ?
I have asked for Document by Document evaluation only.
Do you think I should ask for the expert opinion also?

I hope things work out for us and wish you the best.

It depends on what your Lawyers says your appeal strategy is.
My lawyer never took interest until I sent him a strongly worded email and after I had a telephonic meeting with him.

My I140 was denied on the basis that I didn't have a letter from a person "who has the authority to grant college level credit stating that my certificates amount to 1 year of college."

So I had to take the opinion letter. We are going to file the appeal in a couple of days.

I am not a lawyer but in your case the appeal to the denial would have to address the denial as an interpretation of the law that conflicts with the letter from Mr. Hernandes.

The problem is, that even after I file the appeal there is no garantee that the BCIS official wont come up with some other excuse to deny my case. The official used the law from H1B to get the "grant college level credit" thingy.

If necessary get a second opinion. Like from Sheela Murthy's office since they have published this Hernandes letter.

On a personal note, not to lower your hope or anything. I am thinking about doing further studies here in the US. I am not depending on the appeal. I have to go on with my life.

Murthy Takes Action : Education Abroad and I-140s

Found this article in Murthy.com

Murthy Takes Action : Education Abroad and I-140s
Posted May 02, 2003

The Law Office of Sheela Murthy has obtained information that may prove helpful to many whose I-140 petitions are pending with the BCIS or those whose I-140s were previously denied, because of the absence of a four-year degree from a foreign university. Attorneys in our firm took the initiative to contact the INS/BCIS (Service) and we have now obtained a favorable interpretation from the Service in the form of a letter opinion received by our law firm. We recently were granted permission to release a January 7, 2003 INS (now BCIS) letter defining the term "a foreign equivalent degree" for purposes of the employment-based second preference category (EB2) or employment-based third preference (EB3) category. The need for clarification arose because the EB2 category is for members of the professions holding advanced degrees or persons of exceptional ability. The advanced degree is defined as a U.S. academic or professional degree or a "foreign equivalent degree" beyond that of a baccalaureate. Also included in the EB2 and EB3 categories are individuals with baccalaureate degrees or "foreign equivalent degrees" and, in the case of the EB2, the education is followed by at least five years of progressive experience. In the latter situation, the bachelor's degree (or foreign equivalent) plus five years of relevant experience is deemed equivalent to an advanced degree.

Some BCIS officers and Service Centers were interpreting the phrase "a foreign equivalent degree" in the EB2 / EB3 context to be exclusively limited to situations in which single degrees were issued that were equivalent to the U.S. baccalaureate degree. This would disqualify many individuals who held a combination of degrees or Diplomas or other certifications that, taken together, equaled the requirement of a U.S. degree. Efren Hernandez III, then INS Director, Business and Trade Services, clarified that the term "degree" is not limited only to cases in which one has a single degree from a single educational institution. For example, a person with a three-year degree in mathematics from a university in India and a one-year diploma in computer science from a vocational institution who is found by an accredited evaluations company to have the equivalent of a 4-year computer science degree from an accredited university in the U.S. now may obtain the I-140 petition approval. In the last two or three years we have seen the INS/BCIS deny such cases. We now learn that, based on the efforts of The Law Office of Sheela Murthy, the educational requirement on the labor certification forms may be satisfied with the combined studies from several institutions, as long as that education is assessed by a credentials evaluation service and found to be equivalent to a U.S. degree.

Mr. Hernandez also clarified that the five years of experience may be accrued either in the U.S. or abroad. However, for this requirement an actual baccalaureate degree or its foreign equivalent is required. Unlike some other provisions of U.S. immigration law, it is not possible in this case to substitute experience for education in order to meet the baccalaureate degree requirement.

This clarification will benefit many who have experienced problems or denials due to the nature of their educational credentials. This letter should be very helpful in obtaining approvals for those who are now eligible. We saw approvals soon after our Office obtained this opinion letter from Mr. Hernandez. We thank Mr. Hernandez for his willingness to clarify this important issue for our law firm. It can now benefit our clients as well as thousands of other eligible professionals in obtaining I-140 approvals in the appropriate category from BCIS based, on their education from different educational institutions.