• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

I-134 affidavit of support

Fredswede

Hello,

I am brand new as a member here but have had great use of many of the posts during the last couple of months.

I am together with my family going for our interview next week. We have an Affidavit of Support. I wonder though what is recommended to answer on question 11 regarding specific contribution? We have agreed that she will check intend. But then in the writing what would be recommended?

Hello,

I am brand new as a member here but have had great use of many of the posts during the last couple of months.

I am together with my family going for our interview next week. We have an Affidavit of Support. I wonder though what is recommended to answer on question 11 regarding specific contribution? We have agreed that she will check intend. But then in the writing what would be recommended?

Good luck for next week!

Generally it depends on your situation. So - if you have savings or a good education/profession then you are unlikely to be asked for the I134, but may want to present it anyway. Then you might be using it in combination with other proofs such as your own bank statements but perhaps your statements did not show sufficient amounts. In that case you could list something such as the lodging example they give on the form.

Personally I would deliberately avoid being specific. If you list $1000 per month for instance, you could simply be encouraging questions about why that amount was agreed and whether the sponsor can afford that money from their income. So - even though the form says be specific/exact, I would encourage you put something like "lodging" or "financial assistance as needed". What strengthens the I-134 is the relationship to the sponsor. So - a family member is better than a friend, a friend is better than a friend of a friend and so on....

Thank you for your quick reply Britsimon. We don´t think the I-134 will be need but want to cover all our bases. Based on your advice, how do you think this sounds?

Financial assistance if needed to not become a public charge.

Thank you for your quick reply Britsimon. We don´t think the I-134 will be need but want to cover all our bases. Based on your advice, how do you think this sounds?

Financial assistance if needed to not become a public charge. .

Ummm - that sounds a little contrived. I would remove the bolded bit.

Britsimon, I want to send a thank you on your advice on how to fill the affidavit of support out. We did get approved on our interview and are very excited about this.

There is just one issue to solve which is somewhat annoying. Our police records from Spain are delayed and we were told that we should just send them up when we got them in the mail. They would then stamp our passports and return them with the diversity visa in it. We were also told that they can only guarantee our visa number if the police records arrived to the embassy within the same month of the interview (October). It will based on the info we have from Spain be another week before we have the police record. The answer I had from the embassy is that they can then no longer guarantee our visa number after the last of October.

My question to you is if we need to worry. We hope that since we are so early in the fiscal year that this won't be an issue. But if you have any thoughts on this please let me know.

Britsimon, I want to send a thank you on your advice on how to fill the affidavit of support out. We did get approved on our interview and are very excited about this.

There is just one issue to solve which is somewhat annoying. Our police records from Spain are delayed and we were told that we should just send them up when we got them in the mail. They would then stamp our passports and return them with the diversity visa in it. We were also told that they can only guarantee our visa number if the police records arrived to the embassy within the same month of the interview (October). It will based on the info we have from Spain be another week before we have the police record. The answer I had from the embassy is that they can then no longer guarantee our visa number after the last of October.

My question to you is if we need to worry. We hope that since we are so early in the fiscal year that this won't be an issue. But if you have any thoughts on this please let me know.

First congratulations!

Your embassy confirmed something I had deduced, which was the crossing of the month meaning they have to account for the visa slot. So yes, if you go past the month your number is no longer saved, but this early in the year that is not a concern. Many others gave a missing document and received the visas within a couple of weeks. You will be fine.

Did they ask for the AoS ? Any other interesting questions? Which embassy?

First congratulations!

Your embassy confirmed something I had deduced, which was the crossing of the month meaning they have to account for the visa slot. So yes, if you go past the month your number is no longer saved, but this early in the year that is not a concern. Many others gave a missing document and received the visas within a couple of weeks. You will be fine.

Thank you for that information.
They did not ask for the AoS but I mentioned it and as soon as they saw my sponsors papers they stopped became very satisfied.
It was the embassy in Stockholm, Sweden.
Yes another question that I am sure you know the answer to is the following: I might for business reasons have to go to the US in February 2015, but only for two weeks. I will then want to go back to Sweden and together with my wife and daughter move over in April. Can I do so on the diversity visa? I assume that they do not send out my green card within those two weeks of staying there.

And will my passport be stamped for six months after the doctor appointment, the interview, or from when they actually do the "stamping"

Thank you for that information.
They did not ask for the AoS but I mentioned it and as soon as they saw my sponsors papers they stopped became very satisfied.
It was the embassy in Stockholm, Sweden.
Yes another question that I am sure you know the answer to is the following: I might for business reasons have to go to the US in February 2015, but only for two weeks. I will then want to go back to Sweden and together with my wife and daughter move over in April. Can I do so on the diversity visa? I assume that they do not send out my green card within those two weeks of staying there.

All covered here

http://britsimonsays.com/successful-interview-length-visa-validity-leaving-usa-arriving/

I'm gonna be finicky :p - the visa is not an I551. An I551 is a green card. The visa becomes a temporary I551 after it is stamped for entry, but until then it is just an immigrant visa....

Great catch. The IV only becomes a temporary I-551 upon endorsement at the POE :)

I'm gonna be finicky :p - the visa is not an I551. An I551 is a green card. The visa becomes a temporary I551 after it is stamped for entry, but until then it is just an immigrant visa....

Ahhh true - I need you to proof read my posts!!!

You guys in this forum sure knows the ins and outs of the diversity visa process. Impressive and thanks for all information!

First congratulations!

Simon, Mom, this issue of visa slot not guaranteed past the current month only applies in CP cases right? And only if you've been interviewed and placed in AP right? :eek::confused:

Simon, Mom, this issue of visa slot not guaranteed past the current month only applies in CP cases right? And only if you've been interviewed and placed in AP right? :eek::confused:

Yes it applies to CP cases and the "reserved visa" can get re-allocated through AP or someone missing the appointment.

AoS cases don't have a pre-allocated visa, so they cannot have their visa re-allocated as it was never pre-allocated.

At the BNK embassy, in Packet 3 instructions it says:
"Diversity Visa applicants should submit a Form I-134 for himself/herself (including any dependents also moving with the DV winner) along with evidence of financial resources to support his/her transition to the United States. For applicants with limited financial resources, an I-134 completed by a friend or family member in the United States with evidence of his/her financial resources and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal permanent resident status may be provided in support of his/her own I-134."

Am I misunderstanding these two sentences, or they really say I should fill I-134 in my own name? (looking at the form - it only has options for citizens and residents)
Has anyone heard of anything like this?

I've already emailed the embassy, however, sometimes we just get standard responses that do not directly address all the subtleties of a question.

It does sound like they expect you to fill in your own I134. How odd.
I wonder if they just like the info on p2 so they have the same info from everyone in standardized form, rather than using it as an official document.
Can you find any previous interviewees there online?