• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

I-134 - 100% or 125% of FPG

Britsimon

Super Moderator
When considering whether the sponsor's income is sufficient there has been some discussion about what level of income to use. For the I-864 the CO uses 125% of the federal poverty guidelines. So - the calculation is like this:

If the sponsor is married with two children and is sponsoring a married applicant with zero children the combined family size is 6 people. For 2016 (in the 48 States) the FPG for 6 people is $32,580. So - if the form being submitted is the I-864 the income of the sponsor should exceed 125% of that amount - meaning $40,725.

However,the I-134 is not used in DV lottery cases. DV cases must use the I-134. The 9 FAM notes say that the 125% level does not need to be applied to the FPG, so the lower number (100%) should be used ($32,580). However, since COs are more used to the I-864, they may mistakenly apply the 125% rule (and prior to the use of the I-864, the I-134 was using the 125%.

Tirana embassy have been doing this wrong for years. They even published the 125% rule in their instructions to DV selectees about the I-134. However, they have finally updated their instructions to the 100% level. Although kept the other bizarre/incorrect rules. Their change is what prompted me to write this note.

Mom and I go back and forth about this. The "safest" option is to use the 125% level and if your sponsors income meets that level - then great, but that isn't technically necessary.

Hi Simon. Thanks for the heads up. have you heard about the USCIS fee restructure?
Successful DV winners with visas will need to pay $220 for the immigrant fee.
On the whole it's gonna be expensive doing just about anything with the uscis especially applying for citizenship. uscis.gov/forms/our-fees

Last edited:
Hi Simon. Thanks for the heads up. have you heard about the USCIS fee restructure?
Successful DV winners with visas will need to pay $220 for the immigrant fee.
On the whole it's gonna be expensive doing just about anything with the uscis especially applying for citizenship. uscis.gov/forms/our-fees

Yes we're aware of the new fee structure which came into effect on December 23rd. Changes in USCIS fee is not unusual - the charged fees are used in running the organizations that provide the services being sort, they're not funded by the government.