I-130 processing time jump and Indian passport renewal during GC processing

baramadurai

Hi,

I'm sponsoring my mother through family based GC processing. I filed I-130 and I-485 concurrently July 2022 since my mother is in the US (since Mar 2022). Her I-130 processing time was coming down week-over week and the estimate time for decision was down to 3 weeks. But just last week it jumped back to 4 months. Anyone know if this is normal or what might have happened?

Also her Indian passport which had used as one of the supporting documents is expiring in July 2023. I assumed that the GC process would be completed within a year so didn't worry about it expiring.

But question now is should I go ahead and get her passport renewed from the Indian embassy in the US (DC) or will there be any complications to the GC process because her passport is changed?
Can I simply wait for the GC process to complete and then renew the passport and potentially risk the passport expiring. Is that a problem as logn as she doesn't need to travel to India before I renew it?

@newacct you are right, passport is not required for I-485 but remember when we all got our I-485 approved the first thing USCIS did was to stamp our foreign passports with I-151 Approved stamp, which was temporary LPR status validation till actual plastic GC was received. I think I might have also traveled to Canada with that stamp. Don't remember.

Not sure if USCIS would put that stamp on an expired PP.

@baramadurai , nevertheless, if GC of your Mom is not approved till July 2023, she would be in US with expired Indian PP. Would not be an issue within the US but she would not be able to travel anywhere international even with AP. Anyway, after GC is approved you would need to renew her Indian PP. I think you may as well send the application to Indian consulate. I think it takes few weeks for renewal (atleast at SFO consulate years back).

BTW, where are you checking estimated time for her I-130 processing?

@newacct you are right, passport is not required for I-485 but remember when we all got our I-485 approved the first thing USCIS did was to stamp our foreign passports with I-151 Approved stamp, which was temporary LPR status validation till actual plastic GC was received. I think I might have also traveled to Canada with that stamp. Don't remember.

Not sure if USCIS would put that stamp on an expired PP.

@baramadurai , nevertheless, if GC of your Mom is not approved till July 2023, she would be in US with expired Indian PP. Would not be an issue within the US but she would not be able to travel anywhere international even with AP. Anyway, after GC is approved you would need to renew her Indian PP. I think you may as well send the application to Indian consulate. I think it takes few weeks for renewal (atleast at SFO consulate years back).

BTW, where are you checking estimated time for her I-130 processing?
Thanks for the input. Yes, I have to renew it anyway, just want to be sure it doesn't in anyway cause additonal delays or complications to the GC process.

The estimated time shows up in the "Processing Time" tab in the USCIS account I created with this case#. Is that a reliable source of info, or is there a different place to get the same info?

Well it seem to have happened again. The "Processing time" tab in I-130 kept coming down from 4 months to 3 then to 2. And now all of a sudden it simply says

"Estimated time until case decision:

Your case is taking longer than expected to process."

Anyone else seeing this?