Hurrah Good News .... For those who already got PR :)

Need Help related to 3\5 years rule

Hi Gurus,
I went through all the posts. It\'s nice to know all this information. I have one question. I landed in canada in 1997 and then staied there for one year. Then I came to US for further study and I finished up study and went back canada in 2000. I had RRP, as my intention was to go back. Once I went back I tried for job for 4 months and did not get it. So I tried to get job in US and came on H1 in 2001. Since then i have been visiting canada. I have my bank account there and I regularly pay taxes there. Now my question is? If they are going to allow 3/5 years rule then how will it affect me? I will still be able to get PR card from canada or not????

I will appreciate any gurus comment on this. Thanks guys you all are great.... :)

PR card info will be mostly tombstone info,

the changed regulations on this help...like not needing a person to sign for you and the rest of the info is mostly color of eyes/hair/height date of landing etc...

One Question

Since they are mentioning that the PR card can be applied for existing PR\'S starting Oct 2002 what happens if a person has gone past 183 days at that time.Will he be eligible for PR Card.

my feeling!

I have not been able to see any regulation which mentions that this law is retroactive. so for a resident to make use of this law they have be having a valid status when the new law comes into effect, (not when they start accepting the applications for the card)
mind you this is my feeling and not a conclusion, cause details are still hazy. I tried calling Toronto office but could not speak to an officer.

so will try again and keep you posted.

as long as you can enter into Canada, who knows you have gone over 183 day? Thus, you can get the PR

Any Updates on New Immigration law

Hi Guys,
I tried to talk with the Immigration office at Toronto. But it seems that they are not going to give any information about this law untill June 28. Officer told me to call back after June 28th.

Is the new law applicable for 1999 landed immigrants?

Many left Canada 2 weeks after landing and never applied for Returners Resident Permit (RRP) (hence, not following the 183 days rule).

If that person wants to enter canada again with the 1999 Landing Papers, will there be a problem ? I think the answer depends on whether the new law is retrogressive.
Thanks

I read the regulations for the 2/5 rule

they said that the officer must look at the previous 5 year resident history of the PR to determine if he/she is within the 2/5 limit, if the PR has landed for less than 5 yrs then they should look at the PR's resident history after landing...so by that logic anyone who has landed less than 3 yrs ago is ok..

Is new law applicable to 1999 Landed residents who left?

Many left Canada 2 weeks after landing and never applied for Returners Resident Permit (RRP) (hence, not following the 183 days rule).
If that person wants to enter canada again with the 1999 Landing Papers, will there be a problem ? I think the answer depends on whether the new law is retrogressive.
Thanks

ONly way to do it is to try..

The best way to find out is to go to a post of entry and try to enter legally. Anyway you have nothing to lose.

I think it is 15th sept.

15th sept ; Kits are available.
15th Oct; PRs can start applying in the order of their landing date.

Re: Question about 183 days in a yr being physically in Canada

need to wait until June 28th, the above statements might be true
for applicants not for PRs of Canada, I doubt Canadian Immigration
will discriminate between PRs across two laws, too complicated
to evaluate!

How sure are u...this law....?

Hi ..Did any canadian officer said this to you..that this law won't be in effect for old immigrants. Let us know..
thanks

Canadian Spouse

I was sponsored by my wife who is a canadian citizen and landed in 2001. Since then both of us are living in the US. The new regulation states that recidency days outside canada could be counted if canadian spouse is living with you.

Will there be any problem for me when I return, say after 5 years, if my wife is living with me? Is there anybody in the same situation?

any thoughts appreciated

Thanks

Important Information for all

Hi Guys,

From June onwards US has changed rules for the Exemption of visa for Canadian landaded immigrants. Now Canadian Landaded immigrants has to get visa stamped into the passport from the American consulate in Canada. It means that if any one who is on H1 in US and is canadian PR then when they visit back to canada then they can not simply come to the border and show their H1 docs and passport. They have to get an appointment in the American consulate and get their H1 stamped from consulate. I wanted to share this information because I think so many of us will be visiting canada in near future for canadian PR card application and all, this is just to let you know so that you won't get any surprises on the border while coming back to US.

If anyone has any other useful information then please post it here, so that it can be useful to all of us.

Thanks.:eek: :eek:

I visited Canada last week (July 13th) for landing thro' Rainbow bridge (Niagara falls), But I did not stamp my passport for new extension of H1. But my old H1b visa is still valid until sep 2002, although I had shown my new H1 approval at US border post. We did not have any problem in coming back at US border post.