how to work after getting EAD?(w2 or 1099 which is better)

indian_4

Registered Users (C)
My dates are as below:

currently on H1b and married to USC on feb 5th.
Applied for I485, I131, I130, I765
Rec date: 4/19/2006
ND : 4/26/2006
bio/FP : 5/11/2006

No RFE and waiting for EAD.
Questions:

1) Currently working on W2 on H1b and after getting EAD, can I change my employer and work on 1099 to get more salary?

2) What will happened if my GC will come late? Will the change of employer or change of address affect the processing time of my GC?

3) Till 6/1/2006, the online status of I765,I131 and I130 was like " it will take 30 to 90 days to process this type of application" but now it shows, "We will mail you a decision as soon as processing is complete. You can use our processing dates to estimate when this case will be done." So what may be the reason of doing this?

4) What processing dates does it refers to for the application of I765 and I485--- I am always looking at NBC processing dates for I765 and for same NBC with the one for Adjustment of status for I485. Is that right?

Thanks in advance for the answers....

indian_4 said:
My dates are as below:

currently on H1b and married to USC on feb 5th.
Applied for I485, I131, I130, I765

Questions:

1) Currently working on W2 on H1b and after getting EAD, can I change my employer and work on 1099 to get more salary?
You could... but thats your call after you do your research and weigh out the pros and cons of either option.
2) What will happened if my GC will come late?
You keep renewing your EAD as long as your I-485 is pending

Will the change of employer or change of address affect the processing time of my GC?
Not for family based GC. For Employment based GC, it does.

3) Till 6/1/2006, the online status of I765,I131 and I130 was like " it will take 30 to 90 days to process this type of application" but now it shows, "We will mail you a decision as soon as processing is complete. You can use our processing dates to estimate when this case will be done." So what may be the reason of doing this?
This is a generic message change for everyone. Nothing to worry.

4) What processing dates does it refers to for the application of I765 and I485--- I am always looking at NBC processing dates for I765 and for same NBC with the one for Adjustment of status for I485. Is that right?

Thanks in advance for the answers....
Yes, look at NBC, (c)(9) dates for I-765
Look at your local DO dates for I-485

Thanks

hey ari4u,

thanks for prompt answers of all the question. Two more things are,
1) how can i figure out my DO? right now I do live in Garden Groove, CA. and went for bio/FP to Brea, CA but the name Brea, CA is not on the list of DO's....

2) I have seen processing dates for I765 (c)(9) at NBC updated on 5/22/2006 is 2/22/2006 but the "EAD timelines" forum shows
lively 03/03/06 05/08/06 67 days
chaimdan 03/13/06 05/19/06 68 days
How can that be possible?

Last edited by a moderator:
indian_4 said:
hey ari4u,

thanks for prompt answers of all the question. Two more things are,
1) how can i figure out my DO? right now I do live in Garden Groove, CA. and went for bio/FP to Brea, CA but the name Brea, CA is not on the list of DO's....
That's because the office in Brea,CA is a ASC and not a DO. You should check which USCIS office has jurisdiction over Garden Grove, CA

2) I have seen processing dates for I765 (c)(9) at NBC updated on 5/22/2006 is 2/22/2006 but the "EAD timelines" forum shows
lively 03/03/06 05/08/06 67 days
chaimdan 03/13/06 05/19/06 68 days
How can that be possible?

It is possible. It has been happening this way as long as i remember. For many applicants, EAD's are aproved independent of the NBC processing date.

indian_4 said:
My dates are as below:

You will take home more money on 1099 normally. But remember that unlike W-2, you will also have to pay the employer's portion of Medicare and Social Security taxes. Again, since your employer will not be withholding taxes or FICA, you will have to do it all yourselves. So you might want to do some calculations to find out if the difference in your W2 - 1099 rates would give you any significant monetary advantage, taking into consideration the extra effort you will have in preparing the tax returns too.

RFE online

Hey, I also want to know that, Is it like I can see the RFE in online status before the actual paper RFE comes?

sgsnathan said:
You will take home more money on 1099 normally. But remember that unlike W-2, you will also have to pay the employer's portion of Medicare and Social Security taxes. Again, since your employer will not be withholding taxes or FICA, you will have to do it all yourselves. So you might want to do some calculations to find out if the difference in your W2 - 1099 rates would give you any significant monetary advantage, taking into consideration the extra effort you will have in preparing the tax returns too.

(To the OP)
also...
vacations go as a loss of pay (no PTO)
No stock options and benefits :(
No severance package if you get laid off.
You pay for your own unemployment insurance.
you need to pay estimated tax every quarter... (such a pain)
you do book-keeping and categorize business expenses to claim as tax deductible (if you are smart, you can find a lot of expenses you can classify as business expenses ;) )
No company paid medical insurance. Monthly premiums become expensive as you pay the full price and get less benefits than what you got from your employer (I'm on COBRA now and pay close to $900 every month :rolleyes: )

--After taking out all these expenses/hassles and if you still think the grass is still greener on the 1099 side, go for it. :)

indian_4 said:
Hey, I also want to know that, Is it like I can see the RFE in online status before the actual paper RFE comes?

Yes. The online status changes to tell you that an RFE has been issued and your case will be put on hold till you respond, but however the online status will not tell you what the RFE is for. You have to wait for the letter to come in mail to find out what is needed.

H1B or EAD

Right now I am on H1B and working on W2. After getting EAD, do you think I should work on EAD by informing my employer or it would be fine to continue working on H1B to be on the safer side?

I think that as soon as you filed the AoS paperwork it renders your current visa expired and your status changes to pending AoS. Because if that you would definitely have to present your EAD to your employer.

can I apply for this job?

hi,everyone
sorry to use this thread for my question.
Don't want to over flow with topic on this forum

there is job I want to apply, but the job description said "Must be a US citizen or US legal permanent resident as mandated by federal regulations for all DSO’s "
I just got my EAD, of course not a USC nor a permanent resident yet.
Can I apply this job? :confused:

thank you

cindywang16 said:
hi,everyone
sorry to use this thread for my question.
Don't want to over flow with topic on this forum

there is job I want to apply, but the job description said "Must be a US citizen or US legal permanent resident as mandated by federal regulations for all DSO’s "
I just got my EAD, of course not a USC nor a permanent resident yet.
Can I apply this job? :confused:

thank you
You can apply, but you don't qualify, so you won't be hired. You HAVE to be an LPR or a citizen to work as a DSO (which is a cool job :) ).

Good luck! :)