How to Surrender or cancel Indian Passport

jungleebird

Registered Users (C)
I want to surrender or cancel passport without applying for OCI because I want to apply for PIO Card. But embassy website does not have any procedure to send passport for cancellation. I would appreciate if some body can post the process or instructions.

You should enclose your Indian passport with a cover letter addressed to the Indian consulate along with a self addressed stamped USPS express/priority mail envelope.

The cover letter can include this statement: "In accordance with Indian Citizenship Law, I wish to have my Indian passport officially canceled."

Your Indian passport will then be canceled and returned to you.

This is the procedure Indian embassy sent to me in an email to cancel the passport

Pl mail us your original Indian passport, copy of US passport, prepaid envelope and a letter. We cancel and mail you back.:cool:

When I applied for PIO, I sent US as well as Indian passport.

They canceled the Indian passport in course of the PIO application.

So if you're applying for PIO, just apply and send Indian passport and they will cancel it and send it back alongwith the PIO card.

My Indian passport was sent back to me with edges removed and "Passport canceled .... " appearing on the front and back pages.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surrender Certificate query

Hi,

There is very useful info here. I was wondering if anyone can provide insight to the following problem I have. I am in the process of surrendering my indian passports to get a surrender certificate. I am naturalized British citizen.

My son born in 1983, who is a British passport holder (born in the UK) was issued with an indian passport when he was a baby and this was attached to my indian passport. Does my son also require a surrender certificate even though he is a British citizen (not thru naturalization but by birth)?

Thanks.
Nalini

surrender certificate

I want to surrender or cancel passport without applying for OCI because I want to apply for PIO Card. But embassy website does not have any procedure to send passport for cancellation. I would appreciate if some body can post the process or instructions.

I am a lawyer and i have a team of staff wherby we successfully progress Indian passports and successfully obtain surrender certificates . Should you need this service then please e-mail me at yldesouza@gmail.com. thanks

I am a lawyer and i have a team of staff wherby we successfully progress Indian passports and successfully obtain surrender certificates . Should you need this service then please e-mail me at yldesouza@gmail.com. thanks

Hi,

There is very useful info here. I was wondering if anyone can provide insight to the following problem I have. I am in the process of surrendering my indian passports to get a surrender certificate. I am naturalized British citizen.

My son born in 1983, who is a British passport holder (born in the UK) was issued with an indian passport when he was a baby and this was attached to my indian passport. Does my son also require a surrender certificate even though he is a British citizen (not thru naturalization but by birth)?

Thanks.
Nalini

Godmother, if you have team of staff, why are you using gmail address? does your law firm has name and web site? and of course a physical address for people to reach out to you?