How to specify Masters as an alternate education level

gretchen

Registered Users (C)
In the labor cert, is US Masters degree considered meeting reqt if we specify 'minimum of Bachelors degree in labor certification? or is the Bachelors reqt absolute?

If it does not, how do we specify Masters degree as acceptable alternate in labor cert? And how do we reflect Masters in newspaper ad if it is not automatically deemed meeting minimum of Bachelors reqt? Do we have to put in the ad that the requirement is a 'minimum of Bachelors' or should it be 'Bachelors or Masters' is acceptable?

In the labor cert, is US Masters degree considered meeting reqt if we specify 'minimum of Bachelors degree in labor certification? or is the Bachelors reqt absolute?

If it does not, how do we specify Masters degree as acceptable alternate in labor cert? And how do we reflect Masters in newspaper ad if it is not automatically deemed meeting minimum of Bachelors reqt? Do we have to put in the ad that the requirement is a 'minimum of Bachelors' or should it be 'Bachelors or Masters' is acceptable?

Minimum means the lowest acceptable. The lowest that is in the labor cert controls the visa category.

Would that mean...

Minimum means the lowest acceptable. The lowest that is in the labor cert controls the visa category.

Would that mean then that if I put Bachelors as minimum then the Masters is acceptable? Do I need to specify in H8 that a Masters is the alternative?

Would that mean then that if I put Bachelors as minimum then the Masters is acceptable? Do I need to specify in H8 that a Masters is the alternative?

It means that the visa classification will be determined by the LOWEST degree listed. You could state that a Bachelors is the minimum and quadruple PhDs are an acceptable alternative and it would still mean the job will be classified according to the Bachelors.

If you are trying to say that normally a Masters is required BUT as an alternative you would accept a Bachelors PLUS a minimum of FIVE solid years experience as an alternative then you might be on to something. Read 8 CFR 204.5(k)

Last edited by a moderator:
It means that the visa classification will be determined by the LOWEST degree listed. You could state that a Bachelors is the minimum and quadruple PhDs are an acceptable alternative and it would still mean the job will be classified according to the Bachelors.

If you are trying to say that normally a Masters is required BUT as an alternative you would accept a Bachelors PLUS a minimum of FIVE solid years experience as an alternative then you might be on to something. Read 8 CFR 204.5(k)

The job's minimum requirement is Bachelors in Degree A, but I have the Masters in Degree A; and my bachelors is totally unrelated. Should the labor cert have #4 Minimum - bachelors , Field - Degree A then #8 Alternate - Masters? Do we need to specify Masters here even if we said already in #4 that a minimum of bachelors is required? Doesnt this cover the Masters?

The job's minimum requirement is Bachelors in Degree A, but I have the Masters in Degree A; and my bachelors is totally unrelated. Should the labor cert have #4 Minimum - bachelors , Field - Degree A then #8 Alternate - Masters? Do we need to specify Masters here even if we said already in #4 that a minimum of bachelors is required? Doesnt this cover the Masters?

Employees do not file labor certs. Employers file labor certs. Self-employed, self-petitioners do not require a labor cert.