How to sign US Passport: Color of Ink and type

DreamUSA

Registered Users (C)
Folks, I have been trying to confirm on how should I sign US passport:

Color - I assume black ink

Ink- i assume we have to use waterproof ink

Any suggestions are welcomed.. I probably will travel a lot...wanted to make sure ithe signature does not wear off fast

I would appreciate available links .. I could not locate any from state dept website....

Thanks

Folks, I have been trying to confirm on how should I sign US passport:

Color - I assume black ink

Ink- i assume we have to use waterproof ink

Any suggestions are welcomed.. I probably will travel a lot...wanted to make sure ithe signature does not wear off fast

I would appreciate available links .. I could not locate any from state dept website....

Thanks

I signed my passport in blue ink, using one of those Pilot roller pens. I used my regular signature, the same way I sign my checks. Needless to say, there was absolutely no issue when I travelled overseas. You can sign Federal documents in any ink color, except for red. Only the President has the authority to use red ink on Federal documents.

I signed my passport and certificate with a fountain pen and an actual black ink :cool: It is a bit overkill, but I know it will last 20+ years without fading. Not so important for the passport, but the certificate does not have an expiration date, so the longer - the better. Plus, it looks aesthetically better.

I would recommend a uni-ball signo 207 black color pen. This is probably your cheapest/easiest alternative to get a pretty bulletproof ink. Ink takes a little while to dry so take it into account when signing. If you are of the fountain pen persuasion I have heard very good things about noodler's ink, also pretty much bullet proof.

http://www.uniball-na.com/main.taf?p=2,2,3

http://noodlersink.com/

Black ink is preferable.

Be careful. Now that you have obtained your passport after a looooooong path. Please do not mess up everything. The only pen you can use to sign your passport is this one:

http://static.promopeddler.com/prodpics/bigprodimgs/4590000/4595698.jpg

goood one ...... its posts and comments like these, that blows the steam and helps to relax after going through posts that are complicated ..... good one......

its kinda funny that some people are so obsessed with certain things which others dont even give a crap about. some people post in the form with real issues, where as some just dont even use their common sense. if they just spend 30 seconds they could find the obvious answer. people should just get their IQs checked. if its less then 40, only then they should be allowed to post silly questions.

its like asking a person whether u should drink whiskey, brandy, rum or vodka. and if u answer that they will ask u if u want it neat or on the rocks, they even go to the extend of asking you what kind of glass u want the drink served in .......

i cant believe some people even bother to answer

Huracan
"
I would recommend a uni-ball signo 207 black color pen. This is probably your cheapest/easiest alternative to get a pretty bulletproof ink. Ink takes a little while to dry so take it into account when signing. If you are of the fountain pen persuasion I have heard very good things about noodler's ink, also pretty much bullet proof.

Black ink is preferable.

"

people should just get their IQs checked. if its less then 40, only then they should be allowed to post silly questions.

its like asking a person whether u should drink whiskey, brandy, rum or vodka. and if u answer that they will ask u if u want it neat or on the rocks, they even go to the extend of asking you what kind of glass u want the drink served in .......

i cant believe some people even bother to answer

Huracan
"

Black ink is preferable.

"

uh oh............ some one is in a bad mood

"

Solid_Traveling, what your point :)
Whisky in a Whisky Glass
Brandy in a Snifter
Rum (being the preferred drink of Pirates) - straight from the bottle
Vodka - Shot glass

BTW, these answers are just indicative of people having too much time on their hands (me included)

Solid_Traveling, what your point :)
Whisky in a Whisky Glass
Brandy in a Snifter
Rum (being the preferred drink of Pirates) - straight from the bottle
Vodka - Shot glass

BTW, these answers are just indicative of people having too much time on their hands (me included)

correct, i do have way too much time in hand.
but i wouldnt worry about the brand of pen and the color of ink that i would sign with. the obvious answer will be black/blue , and the faster drying the ink is the better.
if u entertain posts like these, u would see questions like" can i sign it with a highlighter pen" or a crayon or pencil

on the n400 when u attach enclose the photo, its directed to write the name and A# on the back of the paper with a pencil or felt tip pen. i am guessing using common sense that, they dont want u to use a ball point, coz it will get smudged or erased, and felts, felts dont, as from the above posted question abt the ink and the pen, you could see questions of what kind of penicil to use, number 2 , HB, 2B....

i just made my comment. if its not for the extra time we all have , the forum will be so serious, and will just be taken part by people who are really in trouble and those who are trying to save on immigration lawyer fee.

Cl_Asylee's post was awsome. sarcastic and to the point and made every one smile.....

Be careful. Now that you have obtained your passport after a looooooong path. Please do not mess up everything. The only pen you can use to sign your passport is this one:

http://static.promopeddler.com/prodp...00/4595698.jpg

GungaDin

chill bro, lets not attack eachother :)

on the n400 when u attach enclose the photo, its directed to write the name and A# on the back of the paper with a pencil or felt tip pen. i am guessing using common sense that, they dont want u to use a ball point, coz it will get smudged or erased, and felts, felts dont, as from the above posted question abt the ink and the pen, you could see questions of what kind of penicil to use, number 2 , HB, 2B....

Sorry - it wan't meant to be an attack
...but when you go to the Interview, be prepared to sign the FRONT of your pictures with Ballpoint :)

Let me take the bullet for posting this question. May be, meaningless question for many ordinary Americans who get/lose their passports and never care about small formalities...Perhaps, in a few years after becoming USC, we will all assimilate and care less.

However, for time being, our memories ( at least mine) from long immigration journey are still very fresh…still paranoid about minor technicality (which would result….in denial of some immigration document)…

In any way, all inputs are appreciated… for example, I could have guessed but I did not know for sure we can not use red ink in federal docs…

Thanks for understanding....

PS…That said, formalities matter…let me share my passport application experience in Chicago passport agency…they do not allow the same picture used in Certificate for your passport application as DEPT of State can not validate /confirm that the picture is less than 6 mo. I have argued with the rep that my USCIS application is less than 6 mo , after talking to supervisor, the rep still said no. I had to bring another- new picture.

Don't laugh... I had a devil of a time using ballpoint to write my (very long) name and A-number in the back of pictures - Did not use Sharpie as I was afraid it would leak. Did not bother to try either. Turns out the extra fine Sharpie would not leak (Costco & Sears paper both) and would have made life easier...

Now, for passport, any color Crayon would do :)

let me share my passport application experience in Chicago passport agency…they do not allow the same picture used in Certificate for your passport application as DEPT of State can not validate /confirm that the picture is less than 6 mo. I have argued with the rep that my USCIS application is less than 6 mo , after talking to supervisor, the rep still said no. I had to bring another- new picture.

Talk about being uptight! I used the same photos for my passport as the ones that I submitted with my N-400. By the time I applied for my passport, the photos were 1 year old.