How to get the HRR waived?

JESSJAMES

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I'm looking into doing a university exchange, I'm assuming I'd be subject to the HRR for "Govt. help" as the uni gives scholarships and stuff to those doing exchanges..

How hard is it to get the HRR waived from the No Objection from your Govt option? As I would like to do a 1 year J-1 student WORK visa after I'm done on the 1 year J-1 EXCHANGE. Or, I'd like to go and do another exchange in Canada, and even work in Canada. But still subject to the HRR unfortunately so I couldn't do Canada as well or work the 1 year visa in the US.

What other options do I have? Can you get a waiver before getting a J-1 exchange visa?

Hi,

>I'm looking into doing a university exchange, I'm assuming I'd be subject to the HRR for "Govt. help" as the uni gives scholarships and stuff to those doing exchanges..

Most of graduate students receive scholarship from university. But this does not mean that all of them subject to 2 years home residency requirement. Check your visa sticker and DS-2019. Do you see "subject to 2 years home residence requirement" there?

Hi,

>I'm looking into doing a university exchange, I'm assuming I'd be subject to the HRR for "Govt. help" as the uni gives scholarships and stuff to those doing exchanges..

Most of graduate students receive scholarship from university. But this does not mean that all of them subject to 2 years home residency requirement. Check your visa sticker and DS-2019. Do you see "subject to 2 years home residence requirement" there?

I don't have a visa yet, wasn't sure if I should apply or not due to the 2 year HRR. :( Wanted to know first if I would or wouldn't be subject to it..

i don't have a visa yet, wasn't sure if i should apply or not due to the 2 year hrr. :( wanted to know first if i would or wouldn't be subject to it..

To apply for J1 visa, you need to submit DS-2019, which you will get from J1 program. The DS-2019 states if you will be subject to 2year HRR or not. So, you can tell if you will subject to 2 year HRR before you apply for J1 visa.

Also, you can ask the officer that you will contact to receive DS-2019 about your status and 2 year HRR.

Getting J1 waiver is not always easy. I cannot advise you about this since I do not know your situation well. You have applied to DV lottery several times before. J1 visa is for the one without immigration intent, which will be asked on J1 visa application. I am not sure how your past DV lottery application would affect your J1 visa acquisition.

Last edited by a moderator:
To apply for J1 visa, you need to submit DS-2019, which you will get from J1 program. The DS-2019 states if you will be subject to 2year HRR or not. So, you can tell if you will subject to 2 year HRR before you apply for J1 visa.

Also, you can ask the officer that you will contact to receive DS-2019 about your status and 2 year HRR.

Getting J1 waiver is not always easy. I cannot advise you about this since I do not know your situation well. You have applied to DV lottery several times before. J1 visa is for the one without immigration intent, which will be asked on J1 visa application. I am not sure how your past DV lottery application would affect your J1 visa acquisition.

Thanks, yeah I was thinking the same regarding applying for the DV lottery.. Do you know if the J-1 1 year work visa has the HRR requirement? I'd have the same issue doing that too wouldn't I? That's okay, I might do the exchange to Canada instead, and if possible do the J-1 1 year work in the US after the Canada exchange..