How to get Tamilnadu stategovernment pension after getting Green card..

Deepas

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

We are planning to process GC for My motherinlaw and she will be living with us permenantly from next Year. she is a tamilnadu State government pensioner and she lives in India now..What are the ways she can get her pension after she comes to USA permenantaly. Any kind of information regarding this will be very much helpful.

Thanks and regards,
Deepa.

Has it not occured to you that, you could just let things go in the same manner it is going now, its only that you have to muster every year and prove evidence you mother in law is very much alive. by the way what makes you so much interested in her pension? lol..............

people are just too cheap, even when they are in a rich country like america, they still try to squeeze every penny out of the indian government. like dogs fighting over a peice of meat... its coz of these people that india wouldnt improve..... fighting for peanuts...................

thx for ur reply.. though its hurting... i dont give damn about her pension r how much she is bringing.... its my minlaw who is interested in getting the pension.... its not fair to blutter out words like this with out knowing whats happenning the other side. thx anyway for ur reply...

Has it not occured to you that, you could just let things go in the same manner it is going now, its only that you have to muster every year and prove evidence you mother in law is very much alive. by the way what makes you so much interested in her pension? lol..............

people are just too cheap, even when they are in a rich country like america, they still try to squeeze every penny out of the indian government. like dogs fighting over a peice of meat... its coz of these people that india wouldnt improve..... fighting for peanuts...................

solid_traveling,
Pension is not the same as welfare checks/food stamps or even unemployment etc.
pension is something you earned and part of the deferred compensation. so she is no ripping off poor slum kids. I can understand your anger, but op is asking how she can her pension. which is totally legit.
I have met numerous Dutch citizens during my vacation in malaysia and indonesia who are on pension and live indonesia with their pension.

OP,
pension: not sure what the govt. of TN rules are but most give 2 option, monthly stipends or a lump sum.
and for monthly I am not sure if they direct deposit etc.
my dad retired from the govt of bangladesh and he opted for the lump sum on our urging. the attitude of some of the employees is sickening, they want bribe even to give your own pension.
hopefully rules does not require her to physically show up to claim her pension.

good luck!

solid_traveling;2128032 people are just too cheap said:
Best outrageous comment of the week in my view....:D How could you blatantly attack the OP without any factual information? :confused: Pension is earned and the OP has a right to look after her in-law, if you haven't figure this out, the people who are rich are the ones which Congress is concerned about, not you at all my friend...:D

To bring this home, my wife got a SSN statement over the weekend, and even though she makes an excellent salary in DC market, I was informed by the social security administration that should she die, then my son and I are eligible for a one time death benefit of $255...:eek: We had a good laugh about it, but she paid over $15000 in SSN taxes. It such an outrageous sum that is it way below my own consulting daily fee by miles.....:rolleyes: So, next time you invoke the rich USA, think about your own situation first..:confused:

Pension is earned

It's worth noting that almost all pensions are "pay as you go schemes" where current contributions pay for current pensioners. No one in America has a right to even a penny in SS payouts, no matter how much or how little you contributed. You have no SSA "account".

I imagine other state pensions are the same.

It's worth noting that almost all pensions are "pay as you go schemes" where current contributions pay for current pensioners. No one in America has a right to even a penny in SS payouts, no matter how much or how little you contributed. You have no SSA "account".

I have come to accept that the social safety net in the US is whack...:rolleyes: I am thrilled about the fact that I don't have to contribute to social security or medicare or even federal taxes in income taxes..:eek: I always wonder why a country as rich in resources as the US, has the balls to elect a bunch of congressmen who feed on horse manure on a daily basis and are bend of destroying their constituents...:rolleyes: I believe SSN is unpatriotic because it undermine the principles upon which country were founded on, make more money and screw everyone en route to your richland...

well i know i sounded mean but, you have to face the reality, when a person immigrates what i kinda make sense of it is that the individual is giving up his residency where they are and relocating (from India to America as in the post under discussion), The Indian government should not provide or continue providing pension to a person who has acquired residency status or citizenship of/from another country. Earlier at the emigration counters in India when your leaving the country it was mandatory that you produce a "no obligation certificate, NOC" proving that you do not owe anything to them as when you immigrate the Indian govt wouldn't much power over you, other than for going through diplomatic paths which wouldn't normally be taken for civil affairs.

I know 2 people, One person had served in the Indian air force for 15 years, and after that he was collecting pension from the govt of India, he immigrated to America back in 1975, and continued collecting pension.in 1990 he got naturalized and a couple of years after he got retired here from his state job, and now he moved back to India and is collecting, his pension,+
social security +r what ever from America and his pension in India and living there in India.

the other case is of an my friend who brought his parents who were 65 + who had jobs in India with the federal govt and are collecting pension, they immigrated and got the green card and i dont know how they did things, they are getting medicaid/medicare without contributing a penny, all along i thought that u dont get these benefits unless u had contributed or if ur past 5 years as a PR. my friend is a well paid neuro surgeon, and he makes use of the tax peyer money for his parents.

the OP's parents will fall in either of the two scenarios, minus the son being doctor lol...... ultimately being unncessary baggage for india, and to america.

there are 1.3 billion people in india, if every person started exploiting the country, have some heart............. atleast you people are making decent money more than 90% of the indian population over all as a family, why do u still target the pension..............................

people just dont like to pay the govt, in taxes or what ever, all they care about is to get the most from the country/govt.

BEFORE YOU KNOW IT, THE NEXT THING YOU MIGHT HERE IS THAT THE OP'S SIBLING IS IN AMERICA AS AN LPR AND WORKING HERE AND HER ASKING ABOUT COLLECTING UNEMPLOYMENT IN INDIA............................................. ..................................................
BELIEVE ME OR NOT THATS THE NEXT ONE ............................YOU HAVE TO DRAW THE LINE SOMWHERE!!!!!

I admire your passion for the well-being of the Indian citizen. However, your anger is misplaced and I hope you aren't resenting your neurosurgeon friend who is milking the social securty system by allowing his parents to be deadbeats who rip off Uncle Sam....:) I believe honesty and integrity are values which are extinct in the human race, so just get used to the fact that people will always look for a illegal means to earn money or use services...:rolleyes:

Indian govt should take pensions away from anyone who becomes a LPR. You can champion this policy and run on it in the next general election in India..:cool:

I admire your passion for the well-being of the Indian citizen. However, your anger is misplaced and I hope you aren't resenting your neurosurgeon friend who is milking the social securty system by allowing his parents to be deadbeats who rip off Uncle Sam....:) I believe honesty and integrity are values which are extinct in the human race, so just get used to the fact that people will always look for a illegal means to earn money or use services...:rolleyes:

Indian govt should take pensions away from anyone who becomes a LPR. You can champion this policy and run on it in the next general election in India..:cool:

people should just ask the man in the mirror if its the right thing to do.................i kinda do realise that the traits of good citizens are long gone and lost in time..........

its hard , honestly .............that people have no patriotism,

they would have sworn in, taken oaths, pledges ,even atleast at school, read out the preamble of the constitution out loud........ i guess every school child is to pledge allegiance and take an oath with their hands to the heart or hands streatched out upon god, in lower school or middle school when conducted assemblies at school. The indian people who read this and who have done schooling in india know what i am talking about. no offense

Last edited by a moderator:
Gandhi's Talisman

"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man [woman] whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him [her]. Will he [she] gain anything by it? Will it restore him [her] to a control over his [her] own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to swaraj [freedom] for the hungry and spiritually starving millions?
Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

- One of the last notes left behind by Gandhi in 1948, expressing his deepest social thought.

Source: Mahatma Gandhi [Last Phase, Vol. II (1958), P. 65].

Please accapt my appology

thx for ur reply.. though its hurting... i dont give damn about her pension r how much she is bringing.... its my minlaw who is interested in getting the pension.... its not fair to blutter out words like this with out knowing whats happenning the other side. thx anyway for ur reply...

I am really sorry, i got carried away:(

Gandhi's Talisman

"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man [woman] whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him [her]. Will he [she] gain anything by it? Will it restore him [her] to a control over his [her] own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to swaraj [freedom] for the hungry and spiritually starving millions?

- One of the last notes left behind by Gandhi in 1948, expressing his deepest social thought.

Source: Mahatma Gandhi [Last Phase, Vol. II (1958), P. 65].

Unfortunately, Gandhi had too much faith in mankind, ours is an evolving society concerned with three things, me, myself and I. In the process, traditional values which our parents taught us (honesty, integrity, humble, kindness to name but few), out of the window in pursuit of the next wealthy endeavor...:) Gandhi wouldn't survive trading on Wall Street, vicious and concerned about one thing: making money at your expense. Have you ever heard of speculators? :rolleyes:

its damn sure that he wouldnt survive, i'd say he would have rather shot himself rather than be shot, seeing what the people do with the freadom he won them !!!

ghandi told the brits to "quit india" that means in plain english, to get the hell out of here ! not as a command but a request ............and now whats happening is indians fleeing the country

but do u deny that the talisman makes sense?

kids kids calm down,
every country in the world has rules, they are all not the same.
some allow you to have a second citizenship, some revoke it as soon it you get another one.

what are the rules for an indian citizen to claim his/her pension?

my FIL has pensions from dupont and Pflizer, he will get the pension as long he is alive and once he dies I am pretty sure my MIL gets something. now this on top of the social security benefit he gets.
Anyway, he will get this "pension" even if he decides to move to clothing optional resort in Brazil. He will get it not cuz he luvs gandhi or supports the constitution of the united states but he earned it.

sure people scheme and cheat, under report their income in taxes, both HERE and in INDIA, how many of you know people who get social benefits (food stamps or alysum pay etc) and work for cash?

what does that have to do with this woman getting what she earned.

I just got carried away, and i appolize for it, but i am a person who has some principles ethics and even if its not like the samurai code of honor, i have something of that sort that i uphold. I didnt say that she wouldnt get her pension, as long as she musters and provides proof that she is alive she would get it.

but ethics is something else, its about doing the RIGHT/JUST thing. well if every one was nice this would be paradise, would it not ?

i just meant considering india as a country struggling to feed its under privillaged share of the population. and these people are fortunate, in india now adays the poverty is not really because lack of eduction, its because of malnutrition a people who cant afford to get quality healthcare, and its all because the govt cant draw the line to distinguish the two sides. the money could be used for the benefit of the country to feed the underprivillaged.

With exchange rates, of Rs. 46.00+ against a dollar, what on earth would you get when you have the currency exchanged. buy a pack of ciggeretts, some chewing gum and TP??????

If she wants to give the money to charity, missionary or one of the many orphanages, let me be doomed and burn in hell for making the comments and i shall never post anything on the site ever again!!!!

Gandhi's Talisman

if she puts herself against the talisman, what i would say is rather than improving the condition of the poorest of the poor, people like her and her mother in law would actually be depriving them from their one meal (and only the govt gives them as the govt cant afford to give three meals a day for the poor) thy may have been rationed from the govt , or may but made of half of what they were originally being given........................

when you are privillaged, and if you could afford to, give something back to the society..............

let me tell you another story, one of my friends who is an Investment Banker, here in New york, he got naturalized, has his family here, and his dad was in india as he wanted to be burried next to the wife and wanted to die in india in the home they had in chennai(india, tamil nadu) his dad died, after that my friend sold his house, that house (the house was built by his dad from the very little money he earned from his job as a mail man) for Rs Rs. 3000,000 he got the currency exchanged and brought the money to america and it was like $65,000. he bought a BMW.

He got his dad's life insurence as he was the beneficiery and that was Rs.500,000
and he took a vacation in Europe for that money.

Are these the right things to do...........i may be taking my passion for humanity on the rest of the people, but i am really sorry..............

wouldnt it have been something really gr8 if he left the money for charity, fed the children at some orphanage for a whole year......

coming back to the topic of the original discussion,

1)Your mother in law should get all the money she is entitled to. Legaly all you have to do is to muster. its a document that you have to send them notorized. or you can do mustering at the bank where the money is being deposited to. Its a once in a year thing.

2)being Senior Citizens you would be entitled to higher interest rates at the indian banks, may be 1 % more , the last time i was there for fixed accounts/ CDs it was 10% for senior citizens and 9% for regular.

3)As you a india you would be having a ration card and you would be entitled for grains-cereals(rice, wheat, atta), sugar, and kerosene,. which is given by the department of civil supplies under the ministry of civil supplies and distribution, you should make use of it.......... you can get rice for atleast Rs. 5.00/kilogram lower than the normal market, would it not be a huge loss. for u. the case is kinda smiliar for kerosene, u would get it for half the price of it in the open market...... you shouldnt waste it... its ur right, being an indian citizen. and sugar...............

deepa, if your an indian citizen, you could try for unemployment benefits in india, as you dont have a job in india , it may be tricky but you may get a hundred rupeees a month, just prove that ur in india and not working.

Recently the govt of india announced 2 other benefits, they give financial aid for pregnant women , so they can be nurished better and to help with the hospital expenses.

if you have a just one child and if its a girl, the federal govt, provides financial aid for their single kid-daughter programme to promote female children.

also i think the department of human welfare does, free vasactomy surgeries for population control and give free condoms !!!!!!

every indian is entitled to it, not every one makes use of it, but you guys would like to make the best of what you are entitled to. and Deeps you should do ur research and get everything ur entitled to, its india, even if things are hard, you could bribe the officers, and get things ur way, you can do ur research, and get the gold at the end of the rainbow.................... and i shall pray that its not boobytrapped !!!

I just got carried away, and i appolize for it, but i am a person who has some principles ethics and even if its not like the samurai code of honor, i have something of that sort that i uphold. I didnt say that she wouldnt get her pension, as long as she musters and provides proof that she is alive she would get it.

but ethics is something else, its about doing the RIGHT/JUST thing. well if every one was nice this would be paradise, would it not ?

i just meant considering india as a country struggling to feed its under privillaged share of the population. and these people are fortunate, in india now adays the poverty is not really because lack of eduction, its because of malnutrition a people who cant afford to get quality healthcare, and its all because the govt cant draw the line to distinguish the two sides. the money could be used for the benefit of the country to feed the underprivillaged.

With exchange rates, of Rs. 46.00+ against a dollar, what on earth would you get when you have the currency exchanged. buy a pack of ciggeretts, some chewing gum and TP??????

If she wants to give the money to charity, missionary or one of the many orphanages, let me be doomed and burn in hell for making the comments and i shall never post anything on the site ever again!!!!

Gandhi's Talisman

if she puts herself against the talisman, what i would say is rather than improving the condition of the poorest of the poor, people like her and her mother in law would actually be depriving them from their one meal (and only the govt gives them as the govt cant afford to give three meals a day for the poor) thy may have been rationed from the govt , or may but made of half of what they were originally being given........................

when you are privillaged, and if you could afford to, give something back to the society..............

let me tell you another story, one of my friends who is an Investment Banker, here in New york, he got naturalized, has his family here, and his dad was in india as he wanted to be burried next to the wife and wanted to die in india in the home they had in chennai(india, tamil nadu) his dad died, after that my friend sold his house, that house (the house was built by his dad from the very little money he earned from his job as a mail man) for Rs Rs. 3000,000 he got the currency exchanged and brought the money to america and it was like $65,000. he bought a BMW.

He got his dad's life insurence as he was the beneficiery and that was Rs.500,000
and he took a vacation in Europe for that money.

Are these the right things to do...........i may be taking my passion for humanity on the rest of the people, but i am really sorry..............

wouldnt it have been something really gr8 if he left the money for charity, fed the children at some orphanage for a whole year......

coming back to the topic of the original discussion,

1)Your mother in law should get all the money she is entitled to. Legaly all you have to do is to muster. its a document that you have to send them notorized. or you can do mustering at the bank where the money is being deposited to. Its a once in a year thing.

2)being Senior Citizens you would be entitled to higher interest rates at the indian banks, may be 1 % more , the last time i was there for fixed accounts/ CDs it was 10% for senior citizens and 9% for regular.

3)As you a india you would be having a ration card and you would be entitled for grains-cereals(rice, wheat, atta), sugar, and kerosene,. which is given by the department of civil supplies under the ministry of civil supplies and distribution, you should make use of it.......... you can get rice for atleast Rs. 5.00/kilogram lower than the normal market, would it not be a huge loss. for u. the case is kinda smiliar for kerosene, u would get it for half the price of it in the open market...... you shouldnt waste it... its ur right, being an indian citizen. and sugar...............

deepa, if your an indian citizen, you could try for unemployment benefits in india, as you dont have a job in india , it may be tricky but you may get a hundred rupeees a month, just prove that ur in india and not working.

Recently the govt of india announced 2 other benefits, they give financial aid for pregnant women , so they can be nurished better and to help with the hospital expenses.

if you have a just one child and if its a girl, the federal govt, provides financial aid for their single kid-daughter programme to promote female children.

also i think the department of human welfare does, free vasactomy surgeries for population control and give free condoms !!!!!!

every indian is entitled to it, not every one makes use of it, but you guys would like to make the best of what you are entitled to. and Deeps you should do ur research and get everything ur entitled to, its india, even if things are hard, you could bribe the officers, and get things ur way, you can do ur research, and get the gold at the end of the rainbow.................... and i shall pray that its not boobytrapped !!!

Man, looks like you are patriotic. Well, if we have few Indians like you India has bright future.

That's for generalized government pensions like Social Security. But if it is a pension tied to a specific set of government jobs (e.g. military, teacher, politician), it is more likely to be contractually obligated and at least partially pre-funded (not purely paygo).

She is already getting pension, and that means she knows the requirement (like personnal visit, proof of living every year etc.) for pension holders in India.

I guess your question is more like "how she can trasnfer the funds to US"? Is that correct?

Hi,

We are planning to process GC for My motherinlaw and she will be living with us permenantly from next Year. she is a tamilnadu State government pensioner and she lives in India now..What are the ways she can get her pension after she comes to USA permenantaly. Any kind of information regarding this will be very much helpful.

Thanks and regards,
Deepa.