How to Apply for a Green Card- Do it Yourself

Is it true that you could go to your DO and try and get your biometrics done before your appointment date?

I live 100 miles away and will be in Dallas the week before for something else so it would be great if I could get it done at the same time.

1) If you are already married then it won't look suspicious that you applied so soon after he becomes a USC. Although there is no rush as you still have legal status until Oct.

2) I am in the same situation. We got married in court on short notice. We will be having a reception party before our interview to have photos celebrating our wedding. I suggest you have a small party so you have SOME evidence of a celebration with friends and family.

3) While waiting for the interview you should takes pics, get a joint bank account, get a joint property agreement, letters from friends, neighbours and family confirming your marriage etc.

Thank you so much for the answers!! Really helpful. I will do that. Thanks again.

Hello all,

I am a USC trying to the the green card processing started for my husband who is in the US on a H1-B visa. I want to file forms I-130 and I-485 together. In section c-22 of form I-130, it asks about the city/state where the relative will apply for AOS. We live in Neptune, NJ. From the form instructions, it says if form I-130 and I-485 are filed together they should be sent to

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services P.O. Box 805887 Chicago, IL 60680-4107

Hence for section 22 should I enter Chicago IL?

Thanks in advance!!!

They are asking for your local District office D/O where you will go for interview. In new jersey we have two D/O - Newark and Mt Laurel.
Punjabi1

Hello all,

I am a USC trying to the the green card processing started for my husband who is in the US on a H1-B visa. I want to file forms I-130 and I-485 together. In section c-22 of form I-130, it asks about the city/state where the relative will apply for AOS. We live in Neptune, NJ. From the form instructions, it says if form I-130 and I-485 are filed together they should be sent to

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services P.O. Box 805887 Chicago, IL 60680-4107

Hence for section 22 should I enter Chicago IL?

Thanks in advance!!!

Do it yourself application post was VERY helpful

Your post about how to handle my application myself was extremely helpful. Thank you very much for taking the time to post the steps you took and the helpful information at each step. My case was very similar to yours. I have a valid H1-B which expires 09/09 and married a US citizen 09/08. I applied to change my status to green card holder. We'll see how things go!

04/02/09 - Application sent (I-130, I-485/I-864EZ/I-693, I-765)
04/06/09 - (Day 0) Application delivered to Chicago (FedEx 2-Day)

Additional $100 fine...

Some one please clarify this for me.

I am ready to send my I-130, and I-485. Currently I hold an EAD through my approved I-817 Application for voluntary departure under Family Unity program wich I obtained in 2003 through my Dad's permanent residence.

I entered the US without inspection so under section 245(i) I can adjust status by paying an additional $1000 fine. However the following provision seems to explain that I might not have to pay that fine after all:

TITLE 8 - ALIENS AND NATIONALITY

CHAPTER I - DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY

SUBCHAPTER B - IMMIGRATION REGULATIONS

PART 245 - ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS TO THAT OF PERSON ADMITTED FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCE

245.10 - Adjustment of status upon payment of additional sum under section 245(i).

(c) Payment of additional sum. An adjustment applicant filing under the provisions of section 245(i) of the Act must pay the standard adjustment application filing fee as specified in 103.7(b)(1) of this chapter. Each application submitted under the provisions of section 245(i) of the Act must be submitted with an additional sum of $1,000. An applicant must submit the additional sum of $1,000 only once per application for adjustment of status submitted under the provisions of section 245(i) of the Act. However, an applicant filing under the provisions of section 245(i) of the Act is not required to pay the additional sum if, at the time the application for adjustment of status is filed, the alien is: (1) Unmarried and less than 17 years of age; (2) The spouse of a legalized alien, qualifies for and has properly filed Form I817, Application for Voluntary Departure under the Family Unity Program, and submits a copy of his or her receipt or approval notice for filing Form I817; or (3) The child of a legalized alien, is unmarried and less than 21 years of age, qualifies for and has filed Form I817, and submits a copy of his or her receipt or approval notice for filing Form I 817. Such an alien must pay the additional sum if he or she has reached the age of 21 years at the time of filing for adjustment of status. Such an alien must meet all other conditions for adjustment of status contained in the Act and in this chapter.

I am the spouse of a USC and I have filed I-817 through my Dad. On the provision it does not specify that the I-817 has to by filed trough the spouse. At least that is what I see. Has anyone gone through this?

Thanks for the help

Interview Exp.

Today i had my GC interview. The interview was at 1 p.m in fairfax office. We reached there at 11 a.m and didn't find the parking in the dunloring metro station and after searching for all most 30 minutes we settled parking the car in home depot and form there it was a 10 minutes walk to the office. We were called around 1 p.m and the officer was good. before we entered his office he had our file. We went through page by page through all the papers. Make sure to-

1. take USC certificate.
2. All i -94's if applicable.
3. birth certificates.
4. Pay stubs of the sponser.
5. most recent tax records.

Take one copy of all the originals and the officer will keep the copy. The whole interview lasted for 15 minutes. He didn't stamped the passport because the database was down but he said we will get the approval notice next week and the GC in 3 weeks.

question - Any idea does it takes 3 weeks to get the actual card and one week for the approval letter to come?

The officer verbally said everything is ok and one more person will check and enter the info into DB.

question - if a RFE is generated... when i will get it??

Thanks

RD

I864 Fee

woodenshoe101, USCIS website specifically quotes this ,

Department of State does charge a fee of $70 when the Affidavit of Support is reviewed domestically

but you have mentioned that no fee is required for I864 when filed within US.
Also, in a previous reply to Priya_Suri, you mentioned that there is no fee for I864 if filed with I485.

Would you please site a source or link where you got this information from ?

1) just follow the checklist on 864EZ, if you answer all questions "yes", then you qualify for EZ
2) no fee is required for I864 when filed within US
3) forms don't need to be notarized

If I-864 will be submitted for the purpose of AOS then there is NO fee for it, but if it will be submitted for a consular processing then there is a fee. I know the wording on the USCIS website is confusing when they have stated there about "domestically".

If I-864 will be submitted for the purpose of AOS then there is NO fee for it, but if it will be submitted for a consular processing then there is a fee. I know the wording on the USCIS website is confusing when they have stated there about "domestically".
Thanks a lot for the quick reply...

Yeah, the wording of that statement is very ambiguous, but like Johnnycash outlined above, "domestically" in this statement means "at the embassy in the country you are applying from". What's worse is that there are other places in USCIS forms where the wording can cause confusions.

Green Card Experience

My Husband is a US Citizen and he applied for a Family Based Green card for me. Sharing my experience on Family Based Green Card Processing.

Following are the dates

Jan 5 2009 Application sent (I-130, I-485/I-864EZ/I-693, I-765 and I-131)
Jan 6 2009 (Day 1) App received (I-130, I-485/I-864EZ/I-693, I-765 and I-131)
Jan 9 2009 (Day 4) NOA for all applications
Jan 19 2009 (Day 14) Biometrics notification received
Jan 29 2009 (Day 24) RFE Raised
Jan 31 2009 (Day 26) Biometrics completed
Feb 3 2009 (Day 29) received RFE notice
Feb 20 2009 (Day 46) RFE response sent
Mar 14 2009 (Day 68) GC Interview notice
Apr 10 2009 (Day 95) AP received
Apr 13 2009 (Day 98) EAD received
Apr 24 2009 (Day 109) GC interview Approved :)

Some of the questions asked in the GC Interview

1) Address in which we live
2) Some information which we have already mentioned in the applications
3) How did we meet
4) Details on marriage
5) Asked to show the marriage photos which has me and my husband along with both our family members and friends. (PS : Photos which have only both of us are not important) (Copies were retained by the officer as evidence)
6) My birth certificate and supporting documents ( as I had RFE on Birth certificate ) (Copies were retained by the officer as evidence)
7) Proof of Joint bank account, insurance, house lease document, credit card bills. (Copies were retained by the officer as evidence)

Thanks

Venus

Hi there,

Would it be possible if I only send the following forms I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131/I-864?
For the I-131, Do I have to state the reason for this?
Please advise for this will be the 1st time that My husband and I will be applying for. MY husband is an American citizen through naturalization, we are both filipinos by the way.
Please advise if what would be the best thing for me to do. I am in the USA already thru a visitor visa and my I94 has already expired.

Thanks much everyone!

Hi there,

Would it be possible if I only send the following forms I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131/I-864?
For the I-131, Do I have to state the reason for this?
Please advise for this will be the 1st time that My husband and I will be applying for. MY husband is an American citizen through naturalization, we are both filipinos by the way.
Please advise if what would be the best thing for me to do. I am in the USA already thru a visitor visa and my I94 has already expired.

Thanks much everyone!

I was the same as you. I came here on a B2 and my I-94 expired before I sent my package.

You have to have the medical examination. (I-693)
And you and your husband both need to complete form G-325A

And, yes, you do have to give a reason for applying for the I-131. It is actually only meant for travel that is very necessary, not just holidays etc.
If you don't need to travel then you don't need to apply for this.

These are the forms you/your spouse will need to file:

Your USC Spouse files:

I-130, Petition for Alien Relative (your spouse files this); fee at this time is $355, click to see most current filing fee, download form and instructions.

You (the GC applicant) file:

I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (this is your main application form); fee at this time is $1010, click to see most current filing fee, download form and instructions.

I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record, to be filed with your I-485 (this has to be filled out by your civil surgeon. If you have had the BCG vaccination, your TB test will most probably be positive, so ask for a chest x-ray at the same time to save time if it is not suggested). This will take about 3-4 days and probably cost between $160-220 depending on your doctor, find an approved doctor here. Click to download form and instructions.

I-864, Affidavit of Support, to be filled out by your spouse and/or another sponsor, filed with your I-485. Check instructions to see if you can use the I-864EZ instead, it is shorter. Make sure you qualify for it. Click to download form and instructions.

I-765, Application for Employment Authorization (this is your ‘work permit’ and is optional, although most people file it); fee is $0 if you file with your I-485 or after your I-485 has been received by USCIS, click to download form and instructions.

I-131, Application for Travel Document (this is your advance parole application, if you want to travel before you have your green card in your passport/in your hand, also optional), fee is $0 if you file with your I-485 or after your I-485 has been received by USCIS, click to download form and instructions.

G-325A, Biographic Information. Fill out 2 copies for the applicant and 1 for the USC spouse, 1 for each goes with I-130 and 2nd applicant form goes with I-485. Click to download form and instructions.

Passport photos- You will need about 7 for the applicant and 1 for the USC spouse, get extras in case you mess up.

JonnyCash: Help sought for RFE

Following message in blue appeared in the e-mail and on USCIS web site for my parent:
Since we have submitted ALL the known information with 485, at this time ( before receiving the letter in the mail) we suspect, it is imfamous Certificate Of Good Conduct due to failure to read Finger Prints correctly in the 2nd attempt.

As per Vinayakk and Perl 177 (http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=295028 ) , I will initiate process to obtain such certificate from our local police department.

The Question: Is local Police Department Certificate good enough or we need to get and submit certificate from Motherland also?
Can local Consulate of motherland in San Francisco help and if yes, how long do they take?

This is the time to keep the head cool and not let emotions dictate you.

Application Type: I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

Current Status: Request for Additional Evidence Sent

On May 5, 2009, we mailed a notice requesting additional evidence or information in this case I485 APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS. Please follow the instructions on the notice to submit the requested information. This case will be in suspense until we receive the evidence or the opportunity to submit it expires. Once we receive the requested evidence or information and make a decision on the case, you will be notified by mail. If you move while this case is pending, call 1-800-375-5283 to update your address.

Last edited by a moderator:
Questions about applying for GC for parents

Hi All,
I am sponsoring a 485 petition for my parents. Filing I130 and I485 concurrently. Had a few questions, would be great help if someone answers them -

1. Form I-485 Part 2 Application type has the following options to chose from (a. An immigrant petition giving me an immediately available immigrant visa number has been approved (attach a copy of the approval notice, or a relative, special immigrant juvenile, or special immigrant military visa petition filed...
b. My spouse or parent applied for adjustment of status or was granted lawful permanent residence in an immigrant visa category that allows derivative status for spouses and children
c. I entered as a K-1 fiance(e) of a US citizen whom I married within 90 days of entry...
d. I was granted asylum or derivative asylum status as the spouse or child of a person granted asylum and am eligible for adjustment.
e. I am a native or citizen of Cuba admitted or paroled into the US after Jan 1, 1959...
f. I am the husband, wife or minor unmarried child of a Cuban described above in (e)....
g. I have continuously resided in the US since before Jan 1, 1972
h. Other basis of eligibility. )

Should i choose answer "A", or go for option "H. Other" and offer a brief explanation like "An immediate relative petition is being filed concurrently with this application."

2. Do i need to get all photocopies Notorized?

3. USCIS asks for bio pages of passport only. Some people have advised me to send copy of entire passport. What should i do?

Thanks in advance for your replies

Green Card Experience

My Husband is a US Citizen and he applied for a Family Based Green card for me. Sharing my experience on Family Based Green Card Processing.

Following are the dates

Jan 5 2009 Application sent (I-130, I-485/I-864EZ/I-693, I-765 and I-131)
Jan 6 2009 (Day 1) App received (I-130, I-485/I-864EZ/I-693, I-765 and I-131)
Jan 9 2009 (Day 4) NOA for all applications
Jan 19 2009 (Day 14) Biometrics notification received
Jan 29 2009 (Day 24) RFE Raised
Jan 31 2009 (Day 26) Biometrics completed
Feb 3 2009 (Day 29) received RFE notice
Feb 20 2009 (Day 46) RFE response sent
Mar 14 2009 (Day 68) GC Interview notice
Apr 10 2009 (Day 95) AP received
Apr 13 2009 (Day 98) EAD received
Apr 24 2009 (Day 109) GC interview Approved :)
May 09 2009 (Day 124) Got GC

Some of the questions asked in the GC Interview

1) Address in which we live
2) Some information which we have already mentioned in the applications
3) How did we meet
4) Details on marriage
5) Asked to show the marriage photos which has me and my husband along with both our family members and friends. (PS : Photos which have only both of us are not important) (Copies were retained by the officer as evidence)
6) My birth certificate and supporting documents ( as I had RFE on Birth certificate ) (Copies were retained by the officer as evidence)
7) Proof of Joint bank account, insurance, house lease document, credit card bills. (Copies were retained by the officer as evidence)

Details of RFE
I got RFE on Birth certificate.

Problem :

In my Place where I was born, we do not name the child when we do the birth certificate. So my birth certificate has the name column empty.
So I submitted a notarised Affidavit from my father, saying that I was born to him and my mother and that we do not name the child at the time of issuing birth certificate. This affidavit was submitted along with the application. But I did not submit my Birth certificate copy. So I got RFE.

Documents submitted once I got RFE.

1) Letter for 2 of my relatives, who are elder to me and we 18 years or more at the time of my birth. The letter says that they are related to my father & mother, their relation ship and that they know that I was born to my parents
2) Document issued from my country's embassy in USA, that my birth date is XXXX and my father & mother are XXX & XXXX as per my Passport
3) Joint bank account details of me and my father
4) My High school transcripts having my date of birth
5) My college / university Transfer certificate having my Date of birth and father's name
6) Other documents having my parents names and my names.

Thanks

Venus

Hello, I am new to this thread!

I am in the process of starting my AOS, and I have a few issues.

I am actually holding an F1 status and currently employed on OPT.

1) I am not sure which box I need to check for the I 765:
a) permission to accept employment
b) renewal of my permission to accept employment

My EAD current card will expire in 3 months.

2) I also would like to know if I can be the sole sponsor for the I-864 since my wife, the USC is pregnant, and had to stopped working for a while.
If so, what document do I need to submit??
My current salary is over 45K.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I am going to send my application tomorrow but I plan on passing my I-693 after I recieve an RFE from them asking for my medical exam because my immunization will start tomorrow and it will take some time for the medical surgeon to mail me the results. I hope this won't be a problem. Any information or comments with regards in this situation, I'd be happy to hear them.

thanks!