Discussion in 'Lottery Visas - DV' started by Bellx3, Dec 29, 2015.
Oh yeah, precisely what I plan on doing:
Guys, is this a mandatory requirement to show one's saving accounts details for the a DV application? (i'm past this bit, but i am trying hard to recall if i was ever asked about this - i do not think i had been requested to show it though - not an issue but just curious) . Mine was DV2016 (entered in 2014). In my form, there was only this line "Are you likely to become a public charge after you are admitted to the United States?" to which i answered NO (obviously).
I have a new-ish car worth around 35000$ - is it possible to get it valued and bring that as an asset to the interview?
It will be the last thing I get rid off before I leave.
No - they are interested in liquid assets.
I didn't notice before that embassies can ask for an affidavit of support...I know almost no one who is able to be my sponsor...
Although, I have 50K€ in cash and maybe more if I decide to sell some stuffs (+20K€).
Do you think it's ok or I still need a sponsor/Affidavit of Support?
I also have one of the most sought-after degrees in the US (french degree).
Thank you all!!
Do i have to wait for the embassy to ask me an affidavit of support or should i bring it to the interview anyway? I'm getting sponsored by my brother.
The cash should be enough. You having a degree will help depending on subject (though I'm not sure what you mean by a French degree being "most sought after" - I'm assuming you mean from France rather than majoring in the French language - the most sought after degrees tend to be engineering and medical - I'm not aware of particular French superiority in these fields but happy to be enlightened)
Bring it with anyway. If you wait for the embassy to ask you run the unnecessary risk of AP.
How tough are the officers really? If I bring for example 15k$ to the interview is there a chance my application will be denied?
If I'm at risk I would sell my car before to be safe.
Bad move! Never ever sell anything until you're approved and have the visa in your passport.
That is what I'm trying to avoid, but I don't want to get my visa denied just because I had my liquid assets locked up in an expensive car.
There has never been an immediate denial (and I'm willing to bet there wouldn't be in the future) on the basis of a petitioner not having enough funds. The worst that could happen is you get placed on AP while they ask you to send in an affidavit of support. So that is what you should be working on - find someone to fill out an affidavit of support for you.
Plus you should be investigating what the typical practice is like at the embassy where you interview will be taking place anyways.
I understand, thank you for your time.
@Sm1smom Are you saying that even with 50K, they can still request an affidavit of support? What for ?
The *could* - doesn't mean they *will* - but Mom has said to avoid the possible AP - get an I-134.
Please read my response "in context".
One question,....is it safe to wait until my number goes current before asking my relative to send me an affidavit of support (I guess by then I'll have just one month to get it)? I am sure he won't object and will be more than glad to help me out (especially if his uncle, my father, asks him to do me the favour),...I just don't want to tell him (or anybody) about the DV stuff right now since my number is moderately risky and I might never have a change to get interviewed, and I don't like telling people about my plans before they're done or as in this case, almost guaranteed to be realized, that's just how I am. Otherwise,....I think next year I'll be able to have around 20k in my account without selling anything, but I think it'll be safer if I also include an affidavit. I read on a Spanish forum that some people (a minority) were asked about it in Madrid's embassy.
You have been told by DV4Roger that your number is safe. If you had read my 2018 analysis you would have read that your number is safe. Why do you keep ignoring that and saying your number is risky?
Hey Susie, thank you for your answer! You're totally right I'm an engineer and I have a master of science in industrial and mathematical engineering (and a PhD in operational research)! My school has an agreement with the top 10 of Us engineering school/department (Mit, Harvard...) 70% of my colleagues work in the US once they graduated. for doctors it's a little bit different, they have most of the time to study few years in addition to be able to work in the US even if they have the green card.
Separate names with a comma.