• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

How many attempts did it take you before winning?

Yeah, you are right...I have never used any other type of validator other than the official one. Its just even if the validator approves it, there is a chance it might get rejected, no?

Thats what I've been hearing and reading unless i'm really mistaken

Thanks for the advice and nice words...I hope your 3rd time's the charm :D

Yes, someone did an experiment with a picture of a dog and the validator accepted it - it basically just checks the technical specs. The CO will definitely look at the picture, as well as run the software to check it against the biometric taken in the interview so any issue there could still lead to disqualification.

Yes, someone did an experiment with a picture of a dog and the validator accepted it - it basically just checks the technical specs. The CO will definitely look at the picture, as well as run the software to check it against the biometric taken in the interview so any issue there could still lead to disqualification.[/QUOTE

I see, this will make people less worried cause i remember seeing people question about the photo including myself on my first attempt.

that's some reassuring info, thank you Susie

Yes, someone did an experiment with a picture of a dog and the validator accepted it - it basically just checks the technical specs. The CO will definitely look at the picture, as well as run the software to check it against the biometric taken in the interview so any issue there could still lead to disqualification.
oh my... i did run the same thing almost every year..... i thought that's the reason it was "validated"

DV 2018 is my 8th year applying. I was selected in DV2012 with a very low case number but then that draw was cancelled and I was not selected in the redraw.
No success until today - DV2018 (high case number)

DV 2018 is my 8th year applying. I was selected in DV2012 with a very low case number but then that draw was cancelled and I was not selected in the redraw.
No success until today - DV2018 (high case number)

Congrats on your selection and I hope you get an interview this year.

I played alone for 10 years or so. One year I know I lost my confirmation number, so couldn't check the results (and will wonder until the end of my life, if I was selected for that year when I couldn't check my status!).

All the other years that I played - I was never selected (EU region). Last year I got married (after the entry). Didn't get selected, but my now-husband (SA region) got selected, so - yaaay! His CN is 2018SA9**

We are both so excited! Had already lost all hope, since I played for so long and never won before!

I played alone for 10 years or so. One year I know I lost my confirmation number, so couldn't check the results (and will wonder until the end of my life, if I was selected for that year when I couldn't check my status!).

All the other years that I played - I was never selected (EU region). Last year I got married (after the entry). Didn't get selected, but my now-husband (SA region) got selected, so - yaaay! His CN is 2018SA9**

We are both so excited! Had already lost all hope, since I played for so long and never won before!

Congrats to both of you :D

Congratulations !!!
Everything happens for a reason...
Good luck with the process

Been playing since 1995 I think. Only got selected in DV 2018 as a derivative of my wife who was the Principal applicant. Case number AF00016xxx
Hi all,

Been playing for 6 times in a row and just curious to hear back from winners :) How many attempts did it take you? I know some people who won the very first time hahaha! Lucky them! And some people that have been trying for 15 years in a row without winning.

You can also let us know how many times you have been playing the lottery so far!

Cheers
en

Been playing since 1995 I think. Only got selected in DV 2018 as a derivative of my wife who was the Principal applicant. Case number AF00016xxx

en

Wow that is some dedication! Congrats to you for finally being selected after more than 22 years!!

en
Holy moly!!! 22 years????
I guess you broke records!
Congratulations dear, get everything in order don't miss that wonderful chance.
Good luck

I tried once in 2010 but I used to be so skeptical of the DV lottery (before I knew any DV winners personally) that I never kept the confirmation number and therefore never checked the results. My skepticism ended after 3 people I know were selected and told me their stories of selection as DV2012, DV2016 and DV2018 applicants. So I tried again in 2014, 2015, 2016 without success, and applied one last time in 2017 and was selected in 2018 for DV 2019. So 5 times.

I tried once in 2010 but I used to be so skeptical of the DV lottery (before I knew any DV winners personally) that I never kept the confirmation number and therefore never checked the results. My skepticism ended after 3 people I know were selected and told me their stories of selection as DV2012, DV2016 and DV2018 applicants. So I tried again in 2014, 2015, 2016 without success, and applied one last time in 2017 and was selected in 2018 for DV 2019. So 5 times.

Funnily enough, the first I heard of the DV lottery was when a work colleague won it way back in the dark ages, it was probably within the first couple of years of it starting. Everything was done by mail in those days, I think they even sent in a paper form to enter.