how long does it take to recieve family based immigrant visa?

goldberry

Hello,

If my husband is a permanent resident, how long will it take me and my son to receive permanent residence after my husband files petition for us.

thanks
Anna

Hi,

I have a similar question. I will become US citizen next year, and I want to sponsor GC for my parents?

1. Can I file their GC application as soon as I become US citizen?

2. How long will it take for them to obtain GC?

3. Are they eligible for medicare as soon as they get GC? (I live in MA which I guess has medicaid).

TIA.

They must be US LPRs for 5 years and over 65 before they can BUY into Medicare. Last I heard the cost approached $700/mo per person.

You are expected to support them if you provide the affidavit of support. There are limited public benefits available to them. If you cannot afford to do so according to the law, do not bring them to the US to be leeches on the US taxpayers.

They must be US LPRs for 5 years and over 65 before they can BUY into Medicare. Last I heard the cost approached $700/mo per person.

You are expected to support them if you provide the affidavit of support. There are limited public benefits available to them. If you cannot afford to do so according to the law, do not bring them to the US to be leeches on the US taxpayers.

You are full of crap!!! You can be nice to people, the person asking questions is looking at options. Assuming they will become public discharge is absurd and ridiculous. :mad: I am not sure why you have a need to be condensing to people's situation. You answered the question, but to needle the person is a unnecessary. :rolleyes: Please do grow up, time dictates you do!!!:eek:

Hi,

I have a similar question. I will become US citizen next year, and I want to sponsor GC for my parents?

1. Can I file their GC application as soon as I become US citizen?

2. How long will it take for them to obtain GC? (rather how long is it taking currently)

TIA.

Can someone please answer these two questions?

hi,

i have a similar question. I will become us citizen next year, and i want to sponsor gc for my parents?

1. Can i file their gc application as soon as i become us citizen? yes

2. How long will it take for them to obtain gc? 6-12months but some get approved in 3 months time IF AOS BUT I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE TIMELINE FOR CP ROUTE

3. Are they eligible for medicare as soon as they get gc? (i live in ma which i guess has medicaid). that i don't know so i'll let the others answer that

tia.

i hope this helps :)

You are full of crap!!! You can be nice to people, the person asking questions is looking at options. Assuming they will become public discharge is absurd and ridiculous. :mad: I am not sure why you have a need to be condensing to people's situation. You answered the question, but to needle the person is a unnecessary. :rolleyes: Please do grow up, time dictates you do!!!:eek:

The third question on his list was when they could begin to TAKE from the US taxpayers. He MUST file an affidavit of support yet he wants me - and you - to pay his parents medical bills. It is specifically stated in regulations that LPRs do not qualify for Medicaid or Medicare (except for very limited services) for the first 5 years of residency. Until all USCs have adequate medical care, foreign nationals who CHOOSE to move to the US need to fend for themselves. They have no RIGHT to expect ME - and you - to support them. If he does not intend to fulfill his responsibility, then he should NOT bring them to the US.

Can you get Medicare (which is federal) at all? My understanding was one can only get Medicare if (s)he or the spouse worked for 10 years (and have 40 credits) (well, and of course over 65 yo). Medicaid is the whole other story as it's a state-based, but even though I don't think one is eligible for it. I know some states have programs to help with medical expenses (like in my state they do help with drugs if you meet certain criteria), but the only way to go is to buy private medical insurance (which is VERY costly).

Medicaid is the whole other story as it's a state-based, but even though I don't think one is eligible for it.

Yes, for instance, they eligible for medicaid and foodstamps in NYC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once one has been a LPR for 5 years and is over 65, they can buy into Medicare. It is relatively expensive compared to employment based coverage.

The OP's parent or parents could always get jobs that offer heath insurance. Even US citizens over 65 work in order to pay expenses. They could be people greeters or clean houses or ... depending on their skills.

In my state, laws for Medicaid and other services are far stricter.