How long does it take to issue TD visa at the consulate?

superjk

Registered Users (C)
I'm a Canadian citizen working in US on TN status. My mail-in TN extension was approved in April this year. My TN has been extended to July 2012. My wife is a Chinese citizen living with me in US on TD status. She successfully obtained a new TD I-94 card with expiration date of July 2012 at the border based on my TN extension approval. My wife's TD visa stamp will expire on July 18th, 2009. She has a TD visa appointment scheduled for August 10th, 2009 at US consulate in Vancouver, BC, Canada. When she obtained her current TD visa stamp at the same consulate last October, she received her visa the day after her visa interview. However, I have heard from other posts on this forum that there is a world wide slowdown in State Department issuing work visas to applicants. Will this affect TD visa issurance for non-Canadian spouses? We really can not afford to wait for longer than a couple of days. My wife is currently enrolled in full time study at the local community college and she is scheduled to go to China on August 22nd. She will fly from US to China. Has anyone applied for TD visas at the US consulates in Canada recently? How long did it take to issue the visa? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The slowdown is mainly in the working visa categories, but others with more recent experience may shed better light.

Thanks Nelson for the quick reply. I checked the criteria for visa cases that require special administrative processing and I don't think my wife's case meets any of them. But yeah, I'd highly appreciate if anyone with recent TD visa application experience could shed some light on this?

Hi Superjk,

As nelsona rightly said the slowdown is mainly in the working category visas and TD visa is a dependant visa. My wife got my TD visa stamp at the consulate in September 2008 and got her passport on the very next day. But this time we got her a 3 year I-94 card and decided not to go for the stamping as we will be going for my H1B to the POE so we'll make a trip to the consulate for her H4 stamp at that time.
HTH

Thanks for the info. Hopefully there will be no delay in issuing my wife's TD stamp at the consulate next month, fingers crossed.