1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how long can I stay outside of U.S when I am U.S citizen already?

Discussion in 'US Citizenship' started by Rameshwari, May 23, 2008.

  1. Rameshwari

    Rameshwari New Member

    My aunt who looked after me when I was a child is very sick. :(She is in bed only and have problem recognising relatives. I wish to go visit her as soon as possible right after I complete my naturalisation. This is so I can leave the U.S with a U.S passport. how long can I stay outside of U.S when I am U.S citizen already?

    I am worried because I have adult single daughter who I filed for already, when I was only holding greencard. It will surely be faster once I become citizen. However, will my visit outside of US as citizen affect my daughter's application?

    I appreciate any help or answers in this matter. Please accept my sincere thanks!
  2. Huracan

    Huracan Registered Users (C)

    I read your subject, then your first paragrapgh, so far so good, but then you had to ask about your daughter.

    For you as a citizen you can stay out of the country for as long as you'd like. However, I don't get it about your daughter, she is an adult already. I am not an expert about that. I think it is better if you are a citizen and your adult offspring is unmarried. I think it gets harder or impossible for married offspring. Bottom line, you can go out of the U.S. for as long as you like after you become a citizen, but I don't know about your daughter's application, it is simply out of my knowledge area, she might be fine, but I don't know. This would be the wrong forum to ask for this question, I would suggest to ask this question in a family green card forum.

    By the way, how close are you to get citizenship? I am sorry if I sound too blunt, but if she is too sick and you still haven't naturalized isn't it possible she might die (or should I use the "pass away" euphemism) before you naturalize?

    I know that many immigrants are confronted with this kind of impossible situations day in and day out and I would hope congress or USCIS would have more mercy, but it is just that there are times in your immigration journey when one unfortunately cannot afford to leave the U.S. even for certain family emergencies. It sounds sad and inhumane, but that is the state of things in this bureaucracy.
  3. tony28270

    tony28270 Registered Users (C)

    You stay out as long as you want when you are a US citizen, just make sure you don't need a visa in the country you are staying in.
  4. saf

    saf Active Member

    As for you, If you are US citizen, you can stay outside the USA as long as you want, but you may need a foreign visa if required in another country.

    As for your daughter, your question is not clear. since you said your daughter is adult, my question is: is your daughter married or not? and which country is your daughter from? Look at immigrant visa category bulletin: http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_4231.html also, it doesnt affect your daughter's application if you are a US citizen and you stay out of the USA for a long time. but be aware, if you are sponsoring your daughter for a green card, you need a financial support to prove for your daughter that you can be able to afford for your daughter.

    Hope this helps.

Share This Page