How long 140 Valid before starting CP process.

aravind741

Registered Users (C)
Hi folks,
My I-140 was approved last year around June-july 2001 ( dont know the exact date). I have not applied for last stage in CP yet as I am planning to do it after getting married in August 2002.

1. Is my i-140 valid as it was approved a year ago?

Thanks for your response in advance.

No Title

I was in a similar situation last year. I could not find any documented guidelines on how long you can wait without filing CP after I-140. I waited about 6 months and other people in the same shoes and lawyers seemed to suggest that waiting more than one year may not be a good idea.

I had enquired about the validity of I-140 with lawyers,they said it will be valid as long as your employer doesn't withdraw your I-140 petition for somebody else in the company.

My case is similar to yours,got I-140 appproved for AOS on Nov 01 and kept postponing for around 1.5 years to get married and we both have applied I-824 in feb 03 (got approved in Aug 03) to switch over for CP.

I believe, you'll not have any problem as long as your employer still sponsoring your GC and have job with them (in US or elsewhere in the world)

i concur with acmadras & aravind...that I-140 is valid until employer revokes it or the employment is terminated voluntarily/ involuntarily. There is no pre-defined validity period.