HOW DOES THE EARLY FILING (90 DAYS BEFORE GC ANNIVERSARY) WORK?

MBA1844

I am sorry guys if this question was already asked and answered in another thread. I am new to this forum; still learning how to navigate it. Anyway, I have some concerns about applying for USA citizenship. I have been in the United States since 2008. I fled my country because of my sexuality. Long story short, I was granted Asylum in May 2009. I received my Green Card in 2011 but it was back-dated to 05/05/2010. Anyway, I am eligible to apply for US citizenship 05/05/2015. However, I would like to apply early. The USCIS website says that the earliest I can apply is 02/04/2015. Assuming that there are no issues with my early application ( I do not think that I will have any issues but you never know), and that I was approved for citizenship, does that mean I can become an American citizenship before my GC anniversary date? I've been searching for the answer all over. I would really would love to become an American citizens. I love this country; it saved my life.

A little bit about my eligibility
  • I have never been arrested or charged with a crime
  • Since my asylum approval I have filed a tax return every except for 2010 because I was in college full-time
  • I have traveled to Canada twice since receiving my GC. I did not use the passport of my country of citizenship. Both visits were less than one week
  • I registered for selective services the month subsequent to my asylum approval
  • I do not owe any back taxes or default on any student loan
  • I have been living in NY state (NYC to be exact) since my arrival in the United States

The earliest you can take the oath and become a citizen is 05/05/2015. But you can submit the application as early as 02/04/2015.

You can apply 90 days before the GC anniversary, and the processing of your application including the interview can take place during the 90 day early period, but you cannot complete the oath and become a US citizen until your GC anniversary of 5/5/2015.

Don't apply exactly on the 90 day mark; wait a few extra days, becomes sometimes USCIS miscounts by a day or two and they have (wrongfully) rejected applicants before the interview for applying too early even though they rightfully applied on or after the 90-day cutoff.