1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I get a copy of my Naturalization Certificate

Discussion in 'US Citizenship' started by greenshackles, Apr 12, 2007.

  1. greenshackles

    greenshackles Registered Users (C)


    I am in a tight situation because of my own stupidity. I submitted my passport application at the end of February and gave the original copy of my naturalization certificate with the application.

    I haven't recevied my passport yet because the issuing authorities are backed-up due to a sudden increase in passport applications.

    In the mean-time I have received a employment offer that I intend to accept but am wondering how to prove my legal status to them since I never kept a copy of my original naturalization certificate when I submitted the original.

    Would you know how I could get a copy of my naturalization certificate.

    Your input would be much appreciated.

  2. gopalmn1965

    gopalmn1965 Registered Users (C)

    Does the job you are applying require citizenship as a requirement? If not you can show your previous permanent resident status. In the meantime there are certain things you need to take care of before you apply for US Passport: 1) Inform SSA about your change of Status. 2) Inform your current employer about change of status and then you can apply for the US Passport. If you have informed SSA about your chage of status you can get a copy of the print out about you from SSA. Hope this is helpful.
  3. Flydog

    Flydog Registered Users (C)

    Unless it is a US government job, or a job with certain government contractors, all you should need is your social security card (assuming that you got rid of the "not valid without INS authorization" notice).

    If you still have "not valid" on your SS card, consider taking an Infopass and asking for "INS authorization" in the form of a letter or something.

    If you loose your Natz Cert, there's a USCIS form to apply for a copy, but, it is a USCIS process, so I would expect that it will take months.

    If all else fails, try pleading your case with your new employer. A detailed letter with a chronology and a clear explanation of your situation *may* get you some sympathy and an extension on providing your proof of citizenship. You are a citizen, it's not like they are waiting for you to take the oath.
  4. Huracan

    Huracan Registered Users (C)

    It doesn't make any sense to spend money on trying to obtain a copy. However backlogged the passport agency is you'll get your passport and certificate back much, much quicker than obtaining a copy. I would expect that you can get a few days to prove your status when you start working for the new company, and if you have a SSN card without the "without authorization" legend you only would need driver's license and SSN card. It seems that your passport has been processing for close to 6 weeks, you should get your passport in at most 4 weeks, keep checking the status and if the new job is good take it, but don't waste time and money in the naturalization certificate copy, it doesn't make sense.

    My 2 cents.
  5. warlord

    warlord Registered Users (C)

    This is a good example of why you make photocopies of the Cert when you get it, and also why it's smart to get your SSN changed before you send off the Cert for the passport. The SSN, they look at the cert and hand it right back to you and then you have the SSN as a legit back up in cases like this.

    Unfortunatly for you, yes it will be costly (think it's around $200-$400) for a copy and as mentioned who knows what the time line for you getting it is. I submitted my passport at the end of Feb as well and it's now being processed, so I'm expecting you will probably be in the same boat as me with our passport times. So think about another 4-10 weeks till we get our passport and Cert back.

    You might want to explain this to the new employers and see if either they can hold off, or if there's some other way if you haven't updated your SSN...
  6. boatbod

    boatbod Registered Users (C)

    The definitive guide to this puzzle is documented in the USCIS I-9 form.

    Apparently it should be sufficient to show a valid State Id (drivers license) and an (unrestricted) Social Security card that doesn't contain the "not valid for employment..." thinggy. So, assuming you updated your SSN card when you obtained your GC, you should be ok.
  7. Flydog

    Flydog Registered Users (C)

    If you have an old I-551 in a passport, it looks like that might work. Item 4 from List A says:

    Unexpired foreign passport, with I-551 stamp or attached Form I-94 indicating unexpired employment authorization.

    The weird italicization + the wording of the other things on that list make me thing that they mean

    An I-551
    An unexpired I-94

    I have two I-551s in old (mother country) passports
  8. Flydog

    Flydog Registered Users (C)

    Oh wait a minute, the passport has to be unexpired. That's a little tougher (since any passport you had when you initially got your GC has probably expired).

    Oh well
  9. Huracan

    Huracan Registered Users (C)

    Ok, I would say that we have provided enough information, so a driver's license and an unrestricted SSN card should be enough to satisfy the new employer, let's hear from Greenshckles if he has this. Other than that he could explain the situation to the new employer. I don't see a big reason to panic.

Share This Page