How do I become a resident of Massachusetts?

bella8188

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I am planning on moving to the US, to Massachusetts, at the end of April, once I have finalised my green card through the DV lottery.

I understand that once I arrive in the US as a resident, I am no longer allowed to drive on my Australian license, and need to apply for a license in MA.

However, on the RMV website, it says that along with proof of identity, my green card etc., I need to bring proof of residency in MA.

How do I become an official MA resident? Or, is there any way to get a document to say I am a MA resident, after only just moving there?

I would appreciate any advice!

EDIT: When I do move over, I plan on living with my friend until I get settled. I already have a US bank account set up, and it's registered to her address, so my bank statements have that address on it. Would that count?

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, you should be good to go.., I know that in virginia, they ask for 2 mails....bank statement and state mail....like us department of education (federal aid), irs, or immigration ......

See http://www.massrmv.com/rmv/new_res/idreq.htm

On that page they have a link to "List of acceptable forms of identification" which is a PDF listing of what they accept as ID and proof of residence in MA. Bank statement is included (but it has to be printed by the bank and mailed to you, not downloaded online and printed).

When you're applying for the license or ID, they might give you a form to register to vote. REJECT IT WITHOUT SIGNING IT. Look through all the paperwork carefully, and make sure you don't sign anything that is voter registration or says you're a US citizen. That could land you in big trouble if/when you apply for citizenship.

Thanks so much everyone! I feel much more relieved now that I know I should be all set with my bank statement.

And Jackolantern, thanks so much for that tip!! I hadn't even considered that it could have come up. I will definitely be vigilant with any paperwork now!