How complicated is it?

jamesarce

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

I have been married to a US citizen for 5 years now. We live in Canada but want to go to Denver.

I want to go to Denver as a visitor and then apply for my green card there.

My wife has not worked in the US for the past five years but her father is willing to co sponsor on the application.

My question is how complicated is it becuase my mother is not well and I am a bit uneasy about leaving Canada for too long and leaving my mother here to fend for herself.

Does it take years or is it just a matter of months?

Please respond with details.

Thanks

From the limited knowledge that I have gained concerning marriage cases, if you have been married to a us citizen for longer than 2 or 3 years you are immediately handed a green card. I know that you are held under a period of conditional residency--which normally last for 2 years-- if you have only married the person for less than 3 or 2 years when you file. So, you may only be looking at a few months. I know when you file, you can file your i-130 petition along with your adjustment of status petition, since you will have a visa number immediately available to you.

I'm thinking maybe a couple months or so is how much you will have to wait; however, don't take my word as law, call the uscis customer service number and ask them there. If you have trouble finding the number let me know and I will provide it to you the next time that I'm online.

I would appreciate that number.

Thank you very much.

If possible I would like both the toll free number and a long distance number that I could contact if I cannot reach the toll free number from here in Canada.

Thank you very much for your response.

Here's the number

Our number is: 1 (800) 375-5283
Our TTY number is: 1 (800) 767-1833

I don't know what they mean by TTY, but the number that I use is the first one: 1-800-375-5283. To get to a customer service rep you have to go through some of their option. I think you press 2 first, which is the option that lets you check the status of cases that have been filed. From this option, I think it's 0 you press, you can contact a customer service rep. Play around with it till you find the option that lets you get to a customer service rep. It's usually the option that says "for all other questions regarding filing cases" something like that. If you have problems finding the option that lets you get to a customer service rep, tell me and I'll try it when I get back home and give you the step by step. As far as a long distance number you can use, you'll probably have to buy a calling card to make the call to the customer service center.

Good luck.

TTY is for the hear impair.
And Chills "if you have been married to a us citizen for longer than 2 or 3 years you are immediately handed a green card." that is not entirely correct so you know. There is no "immediate green card" for anybody by law. You anyway have to go by the process of USCIS (as many of us) that depends in the DO that you are from months to a year or a little bit more.

The immigrant must demostrate that your marriage is bona fide even you are married more than 2 years. If you are granted a green card then since your marriage is more than 2 years old then you get a non-conditional card (10 years). Marriages with less than that get a conditional green card (2 years) and later the couple must remove the conditions.
Even your wife hasn't work in the US or doesn't have any income, there are some forms like the Affidavit of Support that she anyway must file (I-864) since she is your sponsor.You probably will need a joint sponsor that in this case I assume will be your father in law he must file another Affidavit of Support (I-864) and must meet the 125% income requierement.

Since your mother is having health problems and you would like to visit her, when you file all the paperwork you should include in the package the form for Travel Document/Advance Parole or I-131. That will be your permission to get out of the country while your application is in process. You shouldn't get out of the country without it, remember that after you file you are in adjustment of status you are not longer a visitor.

Hope helps! in any case the process and forms are at www.uscis.gov (official website) plus each form when you download them have their instructions. Read carefully and then that can give you an idea what you must do.
Good luck,

What is the 125% income requirement?

This seems way too complicated. I am not sure that I want to even go there anymore.

Here it is much easier.

1.You don't have to meet any fincancial requirements.
2. There are no conditions put on PR status.
3. It takes 6 months for everyone.

I don't want to go there and sit on my toosh for 1 year waiting for a green card.

I want to thank everyone for all the information.

jamesarce said:
What is the 125% income requirement?

This seems way too complicated. I am not sure that I want to even go there anymore.

Here it is much easier.

1.You don't have to meet any fincancial requirements.
2. There are no conditions put on PR status.
3. It takes 6 months for everyone.

I don't want to go there and sit on my toosh for 1 year waiting for a green card.

I want to thank everyone for all the information.

Well.. there are pros and cons. You have to give up something to get something :)

Good luck to you.

Ok, thanks for correcting that Ari. I wasn't sure how long it would take to get handed if you've been married to the American citizen for more than 3 years. I know that you're given conditional residency months after filing , the conditional is granted if you have been married under 3 years, so I was thinking that if you've been married longer than 5 years then you would get it right away.

And, James, you don't even know the worse of it. I've been waiting for them just to start processing a petition that my mother filed for me for 3 years now.

Last edited by a moderator:
chills said:
Ok, thanks for correcting that Ari. I wasn't sure how long it would take to get handed if you've been married to the American citizen for more than 3 years. I know that you're given conditional residency months after filing , the conditional is granted if you have been married under 3 years, so I was thinking that if you've been married longer than 5 years then you would get it right away.
and you still got it wrong...

You are not granted conditional residency months after filing. Depending on where you live it can take anywhere from a couple of months to three years. If you married for more than 2 years at the moment of the interview/entrance with an immigrant visa, you are granted unconditional permanent residency.

By the way the "granted" is not a must. You can be denied even with xx years of marriage if they think that your marriage is not bona fide or you make a fault in the law.
Hey Ari, are you taking my credits now? HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA...I am kidding! :))

cherr1980 said:
By the way the "granted" is not a must. You can be denied even with xx years of marriage if they think that your marriage is not bona fide or you make a fault in the law.
Hey Ari, are you taking my credits now? HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA...I am kidding! :))
:eek: It wasnt me... LOL