How can I get to Canada and back to the U.S within this week? I am a GC Holder...Please Help!

nkasso116

Hello all, i have been living in the U.S. for 15 years and i currently have a green card. I recently found out that my mother passed away in Canada a couple of days ago. This is an emergency situation and i have to get to Canada as soon as possible. I have an expired travel document that expired on March 5th. I dont know whether i should apply for a visa, a new travel document, or a reentry permit.

I have talked to both Canada and USA borders and they say that if i am travelling by air i need a passport or a travel document no matter what. And if i am traveling by land i need a green card to enter Canada but i need a passport or a travel document in order to come back into the U.S.

I have been trying to get to Canada for three weeks now when i knew my mother was sick in the hospital but i couldnt go because my travel document would'nt have been valid for 6 moths. So i tried to apply for a new travel document but it still hasnt come in.

Is there any way that i can get into Canada within ths week with just a green card. I am willing to drive to Edmonton from Chicago if i cant go by plane. I have tried talking to every person possible from immigration and they arent helping at all. Please Help!

This is what I have done so far: Talked to Canada and U.S. Border, Talked to Lawyers, Talked with Immigration Services, Talked with Canada Consolate in Chicago and none are helping! I have even spoken with my city's congresswoman but they havent gotten back to me yet. Each person is saying one thing! I am hoping that someone here can help.

How can I get to Canada and back to the U.S? Do I apply for a visa, a reentry permit, or a travel document? And which one of these will come in faster.

Thank You!