1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The forums have been moved to a new software. All data till march 30 has been moved over. You can start using them. You should be able to login with the same user IDs and passwords as on the old forums. The old forums will be available as ''read only" under forumarchive.immigration.com.
  3. Rajiv hosts a free community conference call every other Thursday at 12:30 p.m, EST. You can post your questions in the conference call forum and dial into the call at (202)800-8394. Next call is on June 19, 2014.

How can I get my naturalization date?

Discussion in 'Life After Citizenship' started by redbourn, Jul 4, 2009.

1. redbourn

redbourn New Member

Hi,

I have to fill in a form to apply for my Social Security (age 65) and I'm being asked for the date of my naturalization which I don't have because I can't find my certificate.

I have a valid passport though.

Where or how can I get the date?

thanks,

Michael
  2. Mr Vertigo

Mr Vertigo Registered Users (C)

Do you remember your oath date?
  3. redbourn

redbourn New Member

Sorry no.

I got my green card around May 1978 and I didn't apply for citizenship until around 1988.

It was a long time ago! :eek:

I don't think I ever got my naturalization certificate back after getting my passport, is that par for the course now?

Thanks for your reply,

Mike
  4. aosing

aosing Registered Users (C)

You didn't make a copy before mailing in your original certificate?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lost naturalization certificate

You should start by making an online INFOPASS appointment to talk to an officer and see if they can look it up for you.

You may have to file a form N-565 to get a new certificate. If INS lost your original, USCIS might waive the fee, but given how long it has been that seems a bit unlikely. Naturalizations are a matter of public record, so an officer ought to be able to help you get the date without an application that takes a year to process.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2009
  5. Huracan

Huracan Registered Users (C)

Naturalization certificates are returned after applying for passport. This is how it works now, and always (before). If you lost your certificate you can get a new one with N-565. As aosing has pointed out you might try to do an Infopass or follow the public record trail. I am not familiar with that process.
  6. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Hi Michael - I am in the same boat, but I called the SS administration yesterday and they took my application over the phone; now I have to take my valid US passport to the SS office locally to show proof of citizenship. I'd like to get a copy of my certificate too but it costs $380 (ouch). You'll be okay with your SS as long as you have your passport. Call them at 1-877-593-3955. Hope this helped.....very scary eh?