How can I get my naturalization date?

redbourn

Hi,

I have to fill in a form to apply for my Social Security (age 65) and I'm being asked for the date of my naturalization which I don't have because I can't find my certificate.

I have a valid passport though.

Where or how can I get the date?

thanks,

Michael

Do you remember your oath date?

Sorry no.

I got my green card around May 1978 and I didn't apply for citizenship until around 1988.

It was a long time ago! :eek:

I don't think I ever got my naturalization certificate back after getting my passport, is that par for the course now?

Thanks for your reply,

Mike

You didn't make a copy before mailing in your original certificate?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lost+naturalization+certificate

You should start by making an online INFOPASS appointment to talk to an officer and see if they can look it up for you.

You may have to file a form N-565 to get a new certificate. If INS lost your original, USCIS might waive the fee, but given how long it has been that seems a bit unlikely. Naturalizations are a matter of public record, so an officer ought to be able to help you get the date without an application that takes a year to process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Naturalization certificates are returned after applying for passport. This is how it works now, and always (before). If you lost your certificate you can get a new one with N-565. As aosing has pointed out you might try to do an Infopass or follow the public record trail. I am not familiar with that process.

Hi Michael - I am in the same boat, but I called the SS administration yesterday and they took my application over the phone; now I have to take my valid US passport to the SS office locally to show proof of citizenship. I'd like to get a copy of my certificate too but it costs $380 (ouch). You'll be okay with your SS as long as you have your passport. Call them at 1-877-593-3955. Hope this helped.....very scary eh?