Hiring procedures under TN1 status

joycekoon

Registered Users (C)
:confused:Hi, I'm a Canadian with a CPA credential and am going to Las Vegas to find a job in my profession. I have read the information online regarding the requirments to obtain the TN1 status for Canadian. However, there is one question I need further clarification.

Do potential employers need to file I-129 if they are hiring Canadian NAFTA professionals under TN1 status? I'm very confused because it seems to me that an employer just need to provide an offer letter to the canditate and the canditate does the necessary procedures and documentation to the POE officier for TN status approval. On the other hand, when I read the requirments to obtain TN2 status for Mexcian citizens, the information does state that employer must file I-129 first.

Could anyone clarify this for me please? Thanks!

Joyce

Do potential employers need to file I-129 if they are hiring Canadian NAFTA professionals under TN1 status? I'm very confused because it seems to me that an employer just need to provide an offer letter to the canditate and the canditate does the necessary procedures and documentation to the POE officier for TN status approval. On the other hand, when I read the requirments to obtain TN2 status for Mexcian citizens, the information does state that employer must file I-129 first.

The procedure is different for Canadians and Mexicans. A Canadian just needs to present the offer letter at the border.

Thank you for the prompt reply. I have another question regarding the lenghth of TN visa/stauts. I read some saying 1 year and some saying 3 years. I'm confused :confused: